15.

not really a tw but this chapter contains smut. if you want to skip it, it starts at the "may I?" and ends at the "***"

Lily

January 30th, 1976

Lily woke up to Cassie muttering and turning in bed. Lily forced herself awake and shook Cassie. She was drenched in sweat and terrified.

"I'm right here," Lily whispered, holding her hand.

Cassie sighed, squeezing Lily's hand. "I'm sorry-"

"Hey, you don't ever have to be sorry. What was it this time?" This wasn't the first time Cassie had a nightmare. But that was pretty obvious, she had just gone through something. Lily and Dorcas secretly switched dorms, so Cassie always had Lily. And Lily had kept her promise.

"Fuck. Walburga was coming after Reg. It just freaked me out because I don't want him to get hurt. Like what if this means something, Evans. Should I see the Divination professor?"

Lily sat up. "She's not going to come after Regulus. Or Sirius. Or Dorcas, James, Peter, Remus, Mary, Marlene. And most of all, she's not going to come after me and you, okay?"

"Evans-"

"Do you trust me?"

Cassie nodded. "Of course I do. It's just scary."

"I know it is," Lily said. "But it'll be okay, I promise. I'm right here."

She nodded again. "What time is it?"

"About five in the morning."

"Holy shit. Happy birthday, Evans." She hopped out of bed.

"What are you doing?"

Cassie grinned. "I got you something."

Lily fell back onto her pillow. "Give it to me later. I just want to sleep. Cuddle me if you care about my birthday so much."

"No." She frowned. "I'll go back to bed in a minute. I just have to show you this."

"Cassie, please," Lily begged.

She sighed. "Fine. I'll show you later." She slipped back into bed, wrapping her arm around Lily's waist. "Happy birthday again," she whispered.

Lily smiled. "Thank you."

***

They woke up two hours later, getting ready for their classes. Cassie didn't give Lily her birthday present from earlier because it was "planned for later," whatever that meant. Lily did end up getting her favorite flowers and necklace with a star charm on it. It was a locket, and inside was a picture of the two of them at the winter ball. It was like every cheesy prom picture Lily had seen, but cuter. Her mum had shown her her prom pictures, and Lily loved them. Her parents looked so happy. And with Cassie, it was like recreating that moment.

At breakfast, Lily had a cupcake with a candle on it. Cassie held her hand under the table. "Make a wish," she had whispered. Lily wished for the nightmares to stop. The last thing she wanted was for Cassie to not be able to sleep at night.

A bunch of her acquaintances wished her happy birthday. Her parents had sent her a letter wishing her a good birthday along with a gift. Her sister wasn't mentioned, nor did she send her anything. Cassie noticed this.

"Eventually. Just give it time. She'll come around."

Lily shook her head. "I think I should just give up. I don't know why she hates me."