12.

Lily

The sky was cloudy when she woke up. It looked gloomy outside. Lily made her way downstairs where she saw her mother more frustrated than usual. She was everywhere. Her father was drinking his tea, reading a book. He didn't look too focused though. Her sister was still in her room. Before she entered the kitchen, she hid in the doorway. Her parents had begun to talk.

"I just can't believe that somebody could do that to their own child. We're not wizards or anything, but any sane person would know it's wrong," her mother said.

They were talking about the Daily Prophet. But why? They never cared about that stuff.

"I don't support it but torturing your own child? That's plain evil," her father added.

Lily decided to walk in. "Good morning."

Her mother immediately hugged her. "Oh Lily, my dear, I love you so much."

"I love you too, Mum. What's going on?"

Her father motioned over at the paper. She picked it up. The Black Family. Lily could feel her heart drop. If her mother was on the verge of crying, it had to do with the children of the family. Lily felt tears pouring down her eyes. Was Cassie okay? Sirius? Regulus? They had run away too. But Cassie, oh Cassie. Lily dropped to her knees. What was she feeling? Lily wanted to run all the way over to her and hold her in her arms and tell her it would all be okay. Cassie was the only person on earth that she cared about. And she had to suffer through that. Lily's heart shattered a million times. If she couldn't have been there, then what was the point? Lily was her protector, no matter how many times Cassie claimed to be hers.

"Lily, what's wrong? Are you okay?"

She looked at her parents, and nodded. "Cassie's my best friend. I have to make a call."

"Lily!"

She ran out the door, grabbing her coat in the process. She ran all the way to the nearest telephone booth she could find. She didn't want to use her home phone. Her parents would have heard. She put in the number and heard the phone ring. A voice came on after two rings.

"Hello?"

"Hi. Is Remus there by chance?"

"Yeah, one second." There was muffled talk then some noises then she heard a voice. "Who is it?"

"Lily."

Remus sniffed. "Hey, is everything all right?"

"No. Did you read the paper?"

"Yeah. . . I'm on my way to the Potters' right now."

"Could I come with you?"

"Of course. Where are you?"

She gave him the address and hung up. As she waited, she thought of what to say. Would Cassie even want to see her? Lily was her girlfriend, of course she would. But so much had happened that Lily wasn't a hundred percent sure she would. What would this mean for the Black family? If their reputation was over, Lily would celebrate. She hated those two. To do that to your child? It's insane. They were nothing but evil, her parents had that right.

Remus and his father arrived. Lily entered the backseat, and looked out the window. Mr. Lupin respected this and only talked to Remus, quietly. Lily began biting her nails. She knew she should've put that spell on, but she didn't care. She was scared. She just wanted Cassie to be okay. Her eyes were all red and puffy from the crying. She knew her parents would be worried sick, but Cassie was the only one who mattered right now.

They arrived at the Potters' soon after. Lily got out of the car and stood next to Remus. He held her hand. This was all going to be okay. They walked up to the front door. Mr. Lupin knocked.