Chapter 4: The Raven

"Where is my gown?"

She ran around, frustrated and furious. She had never thought this year's ball would be such a mess - disorganized and disfunctional. Everyone in the castle was in a hurry, rushing from place to place to get all preparations ready. The ball had to be perfect.

"You," she pointed at a roaming servant. "Where is my gown?"

"I do not know, Your Majesty."

Her anger was let out. "Where in the bloody hell is my goddamn gown?!" She was yelling and swearing at all those who were possible suspects.

"Might this be your gown, Your Majesty?" came a voice from behind her. It was Philippa, dressed in her usual disguise as a knight, holding the marvelous and dazzling red and black gown.

The queen was relieved. "Why thank you, Lord Phillip." She became curious. "Where did you find it?"

"Near the baths, Your Majesty."

"An odd place to put a lovely gown, isn't it?"

"Indeed it is, Your Majesty."

She tried recalling when she put it there. And then she remembered the steamed bath and the glass of wine she had.

The queen paused as if in a trance. She noticed one of the old paintings in the hall was crooked. Strange. That particular painting was the last one of her late father, King Alexander.

She then came back to reality. Ignoring the painting, she called to Phillipa. "Come along then, we've got a lot of work to do."

~~~

That night, the castle was filled with life. There were hundreds of wealthy people, noblemen and royalty. More and more people filled the castle as the night drew closer. They all entered from the main entrance to the back doors of the royal hall. The royal hall contained the most extravangant decor and feast. The stairs that led to the second floor were polished to perfection.

But the most exquisite of all was the ball room. It was the center of everything. The celebration revolved around it and so did the people. The dancing was the main feature up until the main entrance doors were opened.
There, entered with a long carpet followed by guards on each side was the host herself - Queen Alyssia.

Everyone in the room immediately bowed down. "All rise," she said.

"Tonight - " she began to speak loudly, "- will be the night where men and women from all thirteen kingdoms gather to celebrate not only my seventeenth anniversary, but to commemorate this noble reunion to the birth of a new nation. A harmonious comradeship. An alliance of the old and new kingdoms ... a togetherness. To have all kingdoms joined together at this very moment gives me great joy because it reminds me that there is still faith left in humanity." She cleared her throat. "So tonight, lords and ladies, I ask you to set aside your worries and enjoy yourselves to the fullest as you can."

The audience burst into loud clapping and cheering. Eager to indulge in the night, they all went to luxuriate in the fine delicacies of the ball room.

The queen herself decided to socialize and interact among the noble and rich people. After many greetings and blessings, she sat down on her throne and watched her ball continue. Alphonse always remained at her side.

Looking amongst the crowd, she spotted a handsome and stunning young man with jet black hair, tanned skin, dark eyes and a gorgeous smile. She spoke to Alphonse. "Who is that man?"

"He is Prince Edwin Valdez from the Kingdom of Enasia, Your Majesty."

She observed him attentively. He was very sociable, chatting with almost everyone in the room while his smile and laughter was a nice addition to his appearance. She recalled dancing with him once many years ago. He illuminated the room. Many women wanted to dance with him and many men wanted to become good friends and allies with him. Despite being a foreigner, Prince Edwin was loved by everyone.

"I want him," Alyssia declared. "I want to marry him."

Alphonse was surprised. He never would have thought that the queen would have any intention to marry. She even told him once that love is a weakness and having it makes you weak.

"Send him a message of my proposal. Shall he reject, he will face dire consequences."

"Yes, Your Majesty." And the butler was off to bring the prince the news.

While he walked towards the prince surrounded by a crowd, he was hoping Edwin would not refuse it. If he did, it would most likely result in the lovely prince's death and the start of another gruesome war.

"Her Majesty has sent me to bring His Royal Highness a message."

The prince looked at Alphonse curiously. He excused himself from the crowd to a more private area with Alphonse in order to hear what he had to say.

"What is it?" His voice sounded light and gentle and his accent was quite exotic and distinguishing.

"Her Majesty sends me word of a proposal of marriage for His Royal Highness."

The prince seemed somewhat unaffected by this news, rather he seemed slightly interested. "Oh. I see," he rubbed his chin.

"Will Your Royal Highness speak with Her Majesty?" Alphonse was starting to feel agitated since Edwin had no direct answer to the proposal.

"Hmm... I think I will," he said neutrally.

Alphonse led him towards the throne where the queen sat. She looked happy when she saw Edwin.

"It is an honour, Your Majesty," he kneeled and kissed her hand. She blushed and gave the most delicate smile she had ever given. Alyssia suddenly gave Alphonse a stern look.
"Leave us."

As he left, he watched from afar the queen having a heartful conversation with the prince. He wasn't able to hear most of it, although he wish he had. But that did not matter because as soon as he thought they had finished, she got up and led Edwin towards a room on the second floor.

He immediately knew which room it was. The servants of the castle called it the 'Forbidden Room'. No one was ever to enter the room and no one dared to. Then the door of the room was shut and locked.

Alphonse looked at the door with pity. He whispered to himself, "What happens next is unavoidable."

And then the poor soul walked away from the unholy mess that had occurred.