Chapter 14: The Raven

A few days later...

She was in disbelief as she shook her head. "I don't think I heard you correctly. Could you repeat what you just said?"

"His Royal Highness, Prince Edwin Valdez, is dead, Your Majesty."

She chuckled. "Dead?" Her chuckle grew into a menacing laugh. Her maniacal laugh grew louder and louder. All of a sudden, she stopped. "Dead?" Her face was immediately filled with anger. "Dead?!" She knocked over a tea tray beside her and threw her cup on the ground. The loud crash echoed the halls. "How the fuck is he dead?! How?! My beloved husband is dead? Tell me how! Who the fuck is responsible?!"

The messenger was terrified. His legs were shaking. "W-we believe he was killed... by a member of the Revolutionists. Th-they ambushed the castle that evening and took out all the guards. We have no information as to w-which member killed him."

"Those fuckers. I want all of them dead! Save the one who killed Edwin for brutal torture. I would like to deal with them personally." And the messenger was sent off.

"Perhaps, do you suppose it was your brother?" asks Eudora, Edwin's older sister. She sat in the seat beside Alyssia.

The princess was the most gorgeous woman in the castle. Men from near and far would ask for her hand in marriage but never has there been one whom she accepted. It is unknown as to why she always denies these proposals, especially since she is the oldest of eight children, (Edwin being the fourth).

She flipped her curly black hair back as it layed upon her light blue dress. The news of Edwin's death was not new to her as she did not take it too harshly. It was reported to her first thing in the morning through suspicious connections. Overall, her relationship with Edwin was not close but not too distant either. It was, per se, neutral.

"It's possible," Alyssia remarks. "However, he has no reason to kill Edwin. They used to be friends, remember?"

"They used to. Not anymore."

"If it were him, what do you propose I do, Eudora?"

"I do not know your brother too well, Alyssia. For my own brother's sake, I would execute him. Serve him the justice he deserves. An eye for an eye is a common saying in our country."

"And if he were your own family?"

"My family would never commit such crimes, but I would ask that he must repent for his evil deeds, ask the Lord for forgiveness."

"Indeed. You are correct," Alyssia thought hard. I have no time for mercy, though. I only give time for justice and vengeance upon evil doers.

She was caught up in her thoughts until a large slam from the doors interrupted them. Standing in front of the doors was an elegant and tall woman with long black curls dressed in a loose red robe. It was Mahulda, the queen of Enasia and Edwin's mother. She was furious and red with anger.

"You!" She pointed at Alyssia and walked towards her violently. Her accent was noticeably strong.

"Why, hello mother," she said sarcastically.

"Don't you dare give me that look. You did this! You killed my precious son!"

Alyssia stood up from her seat. "I did not! I would never do such a thing!"

"From the moment I met you, I knew you were suspicious. I only agreed to this ridiculous marriage because it would benefit our country and that my son would have more authority. And to think you can kill my son without getting away with it..."

Alyssia felt sickened by this false accusation. "You know I loved him very much! More than you can ever imagine. I had no ill thoughts against him and have no reason to kill him. I was here this whole time."