Chapter 5: The Snake

"Your name, Sir?"

"William Duncan," said the blonde-haired man.

The watchman looked at him dubiously. He observed him from head to toe. Dressed in a proper black dress coat with a neat white vest, he looked elegant and impressive for his age. He scanned the list to look for the boy's name.

Julian was becoming nervous. He was almost an hour late, but that was not the reason for his nervousness. He had this strange uneasy feeling ever since he had come to the castle grounds. It almost felt like déjà vu.

"My apologies, Sir Duncan. Right this way, Sir." And the soldier led him towards the entrance of the royal hall.

As soon as he stepped in the hall, he was awed by the atmosphere. He was infatuated with the eccentric feeling of drowning in the world's luxuries. All he could see was the colour of gold, the figures of women and the red of wine.

He looked around the room to find the queen but she was no longer on the throne or among the crowd. But then he spotted someone coming out of one of the doors on the second level.

It was the infamous Prince Edwin of Enasia. Julian loathed the prince. He never liked the player prince who was loved by all ladies and admired by all men. His charm disgusted Julian. But what he did not realize was that the source of his hatred for Edwin came from jealousy.

He watched him carefully. And then he did something that made Julian turn as pale as a ghost; he smiled and winked at him.

Has he been found out? How did he know he was being watched from afar? Does he know about Julian's true identity? No, it can't be. If he did, why would he smile and wink when he could have called the guards?
To avoid any further suspicion, he quickly looked away and walked towards the crowd of people.

He noticed a young woman sitting alone near a table. He approached her delicately. "May I have this dance?"

As if released from sadness, she nodded gratefully.

"What is your name, Milady?"

"Ruth."

"A pleasure, Lady Ruth."

As they danced, he kept a close eye on the prince. He was chatting with some women and held a glass of wine. Julian noticed the woman he was dancing with was also looking at the prince.

"Are you fond of him?" he asked.

"Yes," she spoke shyly.

She looked sad and forlorn. Her green eyes were filled with grief and her face showed dejection. The redness of her hair shone beautifully under the captivating light of the chandelier above her. She was a pretty thing. A shame, Julian thought. She deserves to be with a better man.

In the corner of his eye, he spotted the queen - the reason for his being here. She had just exited a room on the second floor, followed by her grey-haired butler. Now was his chance.

He turned towards the girl in front of him. "Lady Ruth, you musn't fall for that man." At these words she was befuddled.

"I love him," she countered him.

"A man like him will only bring you great dissapointment."

She looked at him curiously. "How do you know so much about him?"

He shrugged. "All I know is that he is not the one for you, Milady." He took one quick glance at the queen and looked back at Ruth. He held her gaze and lifted his hand to her face and caressed her cheek. She smiled for the first time. Julian finally leaned in and pressed his lips against hers.

While they were kissing, he eyed carefully at the other man across the room. Edwin noticed it and gave a scowl before turning away. This made Julian satisfied. I should do this more often, he thought.

As they finished, he saw the grey-haired butler walk towards them. "Sir Duncan," he asked.

Julian lifted Ruth's hand and kissed it softly. "It has been a pleasure, Lady Ruth. If you may excuse me, I must take my leave." He let go of her hand and started walking away.

"Wait! What is your name?"

"Will -" He hesitated but then said firmly, "it's Julian... Julian Cardiff." He gave one last smile to her and walked into the crowd of people, his face no longer to be found.

The butler was waiting for him next to a wall, away from the people. "Her Majesty, Queen Alyssia, requests to see Sir William Duncan in her room."

"And which room is this?"

"The second door to the right."

Julian chuckled and said quietly, "thank you... Sir Walter."

The butler gave a menacing look and a finger to his lips.

As Julian was about to head off, Walter quickly grabbed his wrist. "Don't forget the signal!" He said in a tense whisper.

"I know. I haven't forgotten," Julian said in an impatient tone.

At that, the butler released his grip and let the boy hurriedly go up the stairs.

Walter watched him go up with a concerned look. He adjusted the gold ring on his finger - something he does often when he is worried. The ring had the symbol of the Revolutionists; a gold snake with black wings on a red crest. He knew everything was bound to change tonight. Fate would determine what comes next.