Chapter 19: The Raven

There was the deafening sound of the church bells.

She was led outside, followed by several men and Julian himself. A large path was made for her to follow through the hundreds of people that were spectating. They were all angry and raging. They threw stones and fruit at her ruined body. One stone landed on her face which caused traces of blood to drip down her forehead. She knew this torture would all be over soon.

She spotted the scaffold in which she would be executed. Waiting on the platform was a priest and the executioner with a sword in one hand. Both had grim faces.

It was intimidating, yet she felt welcomed at the same time.

When she reached the scaffold, she mounted up the stairs. She stood, observing the audience one last time.

From behind her, Julian spoke up. "I present to you, my good citizens, the person of Alyssia Elizabeth Heyworth. For several years, she, who was your ruler, has lead this once-good nation into misery and oppression. Now, she shall soon no longer rule," he paused and glanced at her, and then back to the audience. "Or no longer be, for that matter..." he chuckled.

He raised his voice. "She, who ruled all of Harringdale, has ruined it in many ways unspeakable. Let today finally mark the end of these years of brutality!"

The audience cheered and screamed their hearts out. They were overjoyed and anticipated her death would be soon.

He turned to look at her straight in the eyes. He said softly, "Once you were good to me - a dear sibling. I wish you a painless and merciful death, sister." He nodded at the priest. "You may commence, father."

The priest cleared his throat. "Our Father, Who art in heaven
Hallowed be Thy Name;
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil."

The audience responded. "Amen."

The executioner stepped forward and gestured her to kneel on the block beneath her. She was reluctant and her hands were trembling. She took out the gold crucifix she wore underneath her dress and kissed it, followed by the sign of the cross. She knelt down on the ground with her head placed on the block.

The executioner, covered in black, asked her, "Will you forgive me for what I must do, My Lady?"

"I forgive you," she answered.

Julian asked her in sympathy. "Do you have any last words?"

She smiled as she looked up to the sky. "Lord, into thy hands, I commend my spirit."

She looked at everyone and at the world one last time. "Let my end be your beginning," she smiled in tears. I will finally be free, she thought hopefully.

As she was experiencing her last moments before death, she spotted a raven perched on a nearby tree. It glared right into her as if it were human - as if she were looking at her own reflection.

Julian declared sorrowfully. "May God have mercy on your soul."

And the sword swung down.

The last thing she ever saw was the raven flying into the sky.

*Note: This scene was based off the real-life execution of Queen Mary of Scots.