Author's Note on Chapter 9

If I haven't mentioned before, the whole purpose of this chapter was to have a better understanding of her past and backstory. It was slightly different because of the way I put it all together; the transitions, the fictional features and all that.

The first segment of when she was with the younger version of herself was the very beginning of her life. Up until she became the age of Young Alyssia (which was around 12), she was living a peaceful and happy life. She could do anything she wanted, such as making flower crowns and playing her violin. (There's the YouTube link for the song she's playing at the top of the chapter) Notice how she says, "when our family used to get along", she refers to the present that now her family's ruined along with her relationship with her brother.

The church scene was the event that triggered everything; the climax. Alyssia's uncle was a pedophile and he sexually molested her as a child, but he would do anything for her. When she said "I wanted to become queen", he went to extremes to have her on the throne. The reason why she wanted to become queen was because she knew her brother would have the throne first since he was a boy. At that time she was young and foolish and influenced by greed. Everything was like a competition to her - and it still is now. Her uncle killed their whole family except Julian, who appears to have been captured (if you haven't noticed, the knife on his neck created the scar he has currently). This event called the May Day Massacre has been the cause of everything that's happened to this point.

The third gruesome scene was a representation of all those she has killed. The mountains of bodies were the lives she has taken. She immediately feels guilt after seeing that child's body but has no way to repent for it.

The last one was a bit more symbolic. In a way it can be foreshadowing. As we can all tell by the chapter titles, Alyssia is the raven. Julian eating a raven could mean different things and I don't wanna spoil too much. It's up to the readers to interpet this.

Wow, this was a long author's note. Hope that helped you understand it a bit better! I'm gonna shut up now so that you can continue reading...