Chapter 9: The Raven

Warning to all readers!! This chapter is graphic. If you are easily offended or disturbed, please avoid reading it and skip to  chapter 10. Happy reading :)

She was running nowhere. Everything was blank and empty around her. Her breathing was shortened and her pace was slowing down. She felt painfully exhausted. She stopped to catch her breath.

All of a sudden, she spotted a little girl some distance away. It wasn't very clear but the figure was definite. Then the figure started to walk away. "Wait!" Alyssia cried out.

She ran to catch up with the girl but the girl continued further. Once she caught up with the girl, she touched her shoulder, panting. "Please, you must tell me where I am."

The girl turned around to face her. No doubt about it, it was Alyssia at a younger age. "You're me," Alyssia remarked.

"You are safe," the girl whispered her answer.

Suddenly, the entire scenery changed to a field of flowers on a green hill and swaying trees surrounding them. A light cool breeze swept across the fields and the blades of grass and the flowers danced joyfully. It was a happy and delightful sight.

Young Alyssia held her hand and walked her towards a flower bed. "Do you remember? You used to love making flower crowns for everyone. Here..." She picked up a flower and gestured her to bend down. She put the flower in her hair.

Alyssia smiled. "That was a long time ago when our family used to get along."

"Play this," young Alyssia said as she handed her a violin out of nowhere.

Alyssia chuckled. "I almost forgot how to play the violin." She took the delicate instrument and played a beautiful yet sad song. It brought nostalgic memories of her past that she wish she could have cherished.

"You always played sad songs." Young Alyssia remarked.

"They were the only ones I learned."

She looked down at the violin. "Recercar - La Strangetta... " she said sofly.

Young Alyssia glanced up at her with a curious face.

"By Obrecht. That was the name of the song."

"Play it again."

She closed her eyes and continued playing once more. The melody flowed and echoed through the air. When she opened her eyes, she found herself surrounded by tall grey walls, benches and stained glass windows. She looked around herself in awe.

There was a peaceful silence between them. Young Alyssia asked, "do you remember the last time you went to church?"

The older one's face became stern. "Yes. I remember it clearly." She thought somberly. "Although I wish I could forget."

"Why?"

She had no response. The words were not coming out of her mouth even though she knew exactly why.

"Because of me?" A man's voice came up from behind her.

She turned around and saw the man she despised the most. The man that ruined and destroyed her family. The worst type of man to have ever existed in her life. "Uncle," she whispered.

She raged. "How dare you show your face in front of me?!" She remembered those memories of him. The way he looked at her. The way he admired her. Those lecherous acts of his - those pedophilic acts of his.

"My dear, Alyssia. No need to be so mad. Come now, we should celebrate and indulge. It's May Day!"

"No! I will not listen to your bloody orders, you - " He shushed her.