Chapter 18: The Raven

A month later...

She sat in her prison cell with her back against the wall and her eyes closed. Her legs extended straight and her hands rested on her lap. She never felt so peaceful yet terrified at the same time.

There was a loud sound coming through the doors. She could hear footsteps coming. "I already asked for clean towels," she called out to them. But when she saw who it was, she was baffled.

"Maria?"

"Your Majesty," she replied softly.

"What are you doing here? You shouldn't be here."

"I came to help you, Your Majesty."

Alyssia laughed weakly. "And how are you going to help me escape my inevitable death?"

She reached into a pocket inside her dress and pulled out a key. This caught Alyssia by surprise. "How did you get that?"

"I stole it from a guard. Would you like me to unlock the cell now?"

Alyssia was tempted into escaping from her cell and leaving but then she stopped herself.

"No."

"Your Majesty?"

"No. I have nowhere else to go. This is my fate."

Maria hesitated but understood her decision. She has never disobeyed the queen and despite her poor decisions, she knew they were for her own good.

She stood there in silence and looked at the queen.

"Your Majesty, if you don't mind me asking," Maria narrowed her eyes, "how long have you been pregnant?"

Alyssia was startled but then she relaxed. She smiled. "As expected from a nurse. I thought the larger dresses and my absence from the public could hide it, but I suppose not."

Her pregnancy was never announced to the public as she herself never knew she was pregnant until recently. Even after knowing, she was never focused on it because of her other duties and affairs.

She looked up at Maria. "To be honest, I lost count of how long. I don't remember anymore."

"Do you know who the father is?"

She thought for a while. "I would like to assume it was Edwin, but it could be someone else."

"Judging from what I see, I think it's very close to its due date."

Maria suddenly turned alarmed. "Your Majesty, we have to deliver this child!"

"What?"

"If it is yours and Prince Edwin's, this child might be our only chance for peace between the two countries at war."

Peace, she thought. She contemplated whether she should do it or not. "I might die in the process," she remarked.

"Would you rather be beheaded?"

Alyssia laughed. "Alright Maria. Come forth quickly."

Maria opened the gate and knelt beside her. She said worriedly, "I may not guarantee the survival of you nor the child."

"We shall see about that," Alyssia said as she positioned herself firmly against the wall. She lifted her dress and spread her legs.

Maria took a small bottle out of her sleeve and rubbed an ointment on her stomach. "This close to the due date and yet all this time you hid it very well..."

"Just get on with it."

"Would you like to say anything before we start, Your Majesty?"

"I don't care what happens to me, but make sure that the child survives no matter what."