Chapter 8: Birds of a Feather

Philza POV, 11 years and 363 days ago.
.
~2 days left~
.
.
.
“Two birds on a wire…”

I  weaved through the toys on the ground. I told Tommy to pick them up last night but I guess he didn’t want to listen. Tisk.. typical…

“Wilbur, can you help Tommy pick up his toys please..?” I asked down the stairs.

“Yes father… Are you going to visit Mother today?” He asked back after answering my question.

“I am dear, would you and- Techno you’re up!” I spoke, happy to see him out of his room.

“I am.. Can I visit Mother with you two..?” He asked, his voice hollow like always.

“Of course you can buddy..” I pat his head and walk to the kitchen.

“One tries to fly away”

It was some time before we left to see her. She was in the village's med bay, and the boys loved seeing her. Except Tommy..

He was scared of the hospital, and didn’t even want to go into the building. He would always tell us to “Tell mummy hi for me!” with the brightest smile. He never liked hospitals at all.. Poor buddy..

We walked into the building and down the hall to Kristins room. I looked at my love, and my heart fluttered.

I swear she is the only thing aside from the kids that is keeping me going. 

“Hey love.. How do you feel today?” I asked Kristin, moving the hair from her face.

“I’ve been better.. But I do feel more awake today..” She smiled at me. Her smile was brighter than the sun, pretty than roses.

She was golden, and one of a kind. Perfectly perfect, having not a single flaw. 

Not even the wither effect she was fighting off would stop her.

She thought the black splotches that took over her would stop me from seeing her beauty. While she was wrong, I could never see a single thing wrong with her. 

“And the other watches him close from that wire”

The kids and I headed back home after chatting for a bit, we weren’t allowed to stay long according to the staff.

It didn’t pause our fight through this horrible thing though. It would only grow it. 

“He says he wants to as well”

“Hey buddy, your mummy just might be home next week!” I said, lifting Tommy up. 

“But he is a liar”

“Wait Mum is coming home next week?!” He shouted, smiling his bright and happy smile.

I almost didn’t believe it either when the doctors said she could be home soon.. Knowing most who are or were affected by the wither epidemic don’t make it.

Knowing she had a chance to beat it just proved how mentally and physically strong this woman is.

I could see the stars in her eyes when they told us. She was overfilled with joy. And even though she didn’t show it, I could tell she wanted out of that hospital.

Her and I both have claustrophobia, and to ease it the nurses let her go on walks around the medbay. She loved the walks, and frequently would go out on them to stretch her wings. 

“I'll believe it all”

It wasn’t long until nightfall and Tommy insisted on making macaroni for dinner. For some reason I always fall for his puppy dog eyes..