The discovery

Elizabeth

25 December

“Ma’am, we have examined the injuries on your daughter’s body. There were bruises at her thighs and obvious signs of injuries.”

I couldn’t take this.

“Everything matched Mr. Brown’s DNA. We are almost certain that he molested your daughter.”

That son of a bitch.

Wait.

Almost.

Almost?

“What do you mean by ‘almost certain’, detective?”

“Even though there were bruises at her thighs, there were no signs of struggle. The scratches on Mr. Brown’s elbow are perfectly straight like they were…were staged. Of course, these are all just hypotheses, Mrs. Elizabeth.”

What did he say?

What was he trying to suggest?

“Are you implying that my daughter was lying to me?” Those words came out of my mouth without control, coated with fury.

“As a detective, I would not dismiss that possibility.”

Bullshit! Why would he think that an innocent 8 years old girl would lie to her mother about her being molested. Staging a crime, framing someone innocent, my girl may not even know what molest means.

Yes, she was sad and down but she would never do something like this.

“I bet that bastard might have even encouraged my daughter to let him in. What you are suggesting, detective is shit. I am not going to let this off until I know the truth. My daughter would never do something like this.”

“How would you know?”

Right.

How would I know?

After the divorce, I rarely spend time with her because I was always so busy with my work. I have seen that look on her face, like she was trying to achieve something. I did not think twice.

I feel guilty that know I do, suspect my daughter of something so nauseating.

How would I know?