Chapter 1

Jaime

"Jamie get down here, we're not done unpacking yet!" Mom shouted.

"Yeah yeah, quit your whining," I shout back as I walk down the stairs of our brand-new blank house. We just moved here in Florida from California, and man I already hate it. My dad is in the Navy, so you'd think I'm used to moving around a lot. But, sadly dad is never home, and mom works all day. Plus, no siblings, so I get the house all to myself, which is nice I guess, especially since we live on the beach. My parents are only cool with it because I'm 17 and I've learned over the years how to take care of myself. No thanks to them though.

I walked down the hallway way of our two-story new house that had empty, well....... everything. We literally just arrived here minutes ago. Still, it feels like there should've been something here, not sure what though.
I grabbed a box and carried it into a room that overlooked the Water. It was a simple room. Square, one massive window in the center of the left wall, the right was just blank. The north wall led to a bathroom. I'm gunna make sure this room is my room. I sighed as I put the box down by the door. I really don't want to do this right now......
"Mom I'm going to the beach," I shout.
"Well, when will you finish unpacking then?" She demanded.
"When I get back. Promise," I say as I walk back into the family room.
"Fine. Go ahead," She gave in, obviously too in distress to fight back.
"Thanks," I say as I put on my shoes and left. I walked down the street and onto the wooden bridge that led to the beach. The sky was bright blue, and the wind blew gently. It still felt hot though. I kicked off my flip-flops and gently placed my feet on the hot sand and trudged towards the water. Many other teens were sunbathing, surfing, or swimming. I took off my red button up shirt and waded into the warm water. I swam out a little deeper, the water was super salty though. I had brought goggles, so it was slightly better, but when I came up for air it hurt my throat. I swam out pretty far before I turned and swam back. The waves were getting bigger because it was getting darker and the moon was coming out. It was only then that I realized I had been out for a long time. I looked over at the rest of the beach and saw everyone had left, that's probably not a good sign. I swam hard against the growing currents and managed to finally make it to shore, "Damn that was rough," I groaned with several pants.
I laid back on the sand and looked up at the night sky. I blinked as the rain began to fall on my face. Perfect! I should probably get home anyway, Mom won't be happy. I gathered my shoes and shirt and left for my new home. I really did need to finish unpacking my stuff.

Cameron

"Cameron! Don't ignore meeee..," My girlfriend, Laney whined.
I unintentionally bit my lip as her smooth pale skin glistened in the underwater sunlight, with her radiant red hair floating behind her. Her freckles, sea green eyes, and pink lips all added to her beauty. Her purple and neon green tail swishing from side to side, keeping her stable in front of me. I tried keeping my eyes on hers, but her chest was a temptation not easily resisted. I mean I know all mermaids were female, obviously! So, there wasn't anything weird about us being naked, especially since we needed to be fast to avoid being spotted by the humans, and clothes slowed us down immensely, but still!
"What do you want?" I groaned. Already forgetting what we were talking about.
"Don't be mean," She teased as she playfully hit my arm.
"What were you saying?!" I demand.
"When are you going to the surface world again? Cause I wanna go with,"
"I told you my mom deals with all that stuff. She rarely even takes me,"
"Because you never asked to go!" Laney exclaimed.
"Screw you," I hiss.
"You can screw me anytime," Laney purred. I groan in frustration, and Laney only laughed.
Uuuuggghhh, There's no winning with her. I've known that since I met her and yet I still indulge her. I need to start learning from my past.
I opened my mouth to retort but shut it after a while. I hate losing arguments. I hate losing period. but Laney always won when we argued, and she was the one person I truly didn't mind losing too.
"By the way, why didn't you go hunting at the beach today?" I asked.
"Well I did look around, but most of the humans didn't look good enough," Laney pouted.
"I feel you," I agreed.
"Ooooohhhhh, but I did see this one boy, and he looked delish. But he stayed too close to the other humans," Laney says ecstatically but trailed off, "...so, I couldn't get him, humans can be so frustrating sometimes!"
"That usually doesn't stop you," I say surprised
"Yeah but I know the rules, don't be seen," Laney recited.
"True," I agreed.
"I'm still hungry though," She whined, and I chuckled.
"Go check the ports, I'm sure some ships have to be leaving," I suggest and Laney's eyes lit up with excitement.
"You gonna come with?" She asked hopefully but I sighed, "Please?" She begged.
"Fine," I reluctantly agree. Hunting at night is super easy anyway. I followed Laney to what she called "the yummy places," She is such a picky eater, she'll only eat boys from about 18 to 35. Me, I honestly don't care. But obese, elderly or young kids are a big no no, period. Too hard to digest efficiently, plus, um that's disgusting. We swam towards the docks from underwater and stopped several yards out. And remained submerged and ready. I nudged Laney and pointed to a late-night fishing boat. She nodded with an eager smile. Giving me the go ahead. We swam until we were about 10 feet from the boat.
"Could you, you know. Do the thingy?" Laney asked.
"You're a hopeless hunter," I chuckled and created a fairly decent sized wave that rocked the boat violently. Then I made another and another until the boat flipped.
"Thank you,"
"Uh-huh. Go get your dinner. We need to get home soon,"
"You don't want any?"
"Nah, I'm still full from yesterday,"
"Suit yourself,"
"I'll wait here,"
"You're no fun,"
And without another word Laney swam off and drowned the human and pulled his corpse several yards away and picked him dry until only his bare-bones remained, and they sank to the bottom of the 200-foot-deep harbor. She swam back over to me and was still sucking on her fingers that still contained remnants of his flesh, namely his blood.
"You happy now?" I asked.
"Mmhmm. I'm good for a week," She replied happily.
"Girl, mermaids can go months without getting hungry," I retorted.
"Yeah, but I'm a growing woman, I need my food," She whined, and I snickered.
"Laney, will there ever be a time when you can go more than two weeks without eating?" I chuckled.
"Maybe, but it ain't coming any time soon," Laney snorted.
"Probably not. But you're going to get fat if you keep eating like this," I replied.
Laney chuckled before replying.
"Cameron, you know as well as I, mermaids are physically incapable of getting fat," Laney stated proudly.
"I know, I was joking," I retorted, and Laney snickered.
"Oh, I'm sure you were," She says doubtfully.
"Shut up," I reply angrily.
"You love me, and you know it," Laney purred seductively and kissed my cheek.
"What was our one rule?" I asked holding up my right index finger. My comment made Laney groan and swim in a circle before facing me once more.
"No kissing right after eating," Laney recited.
"Correct," I reply happily.
"But it was on the cheek!" Laney argued.
"Don't wanna hear it," I reply playfully.
I began to swim back because the water was still red from Laney's meal. Laney followed me, still ranting.
"It's a stupid rule! You need to make a different one and throw that one away!" Laney yelled after me and I chuckled.
"You're not supposed to like them. If you did it wouldn't be a rule!" I shouted back.
"But still..," She whined.
"Girl, let it go! I ain't changing 'em," I shouted back. I heard my girl huff with annoyance.
"Fine," She huffed.
"You love me, and you know it," I giggled back.
"I know you did not just use my words against me!" Laney yelled as she playfully tackled me from behind. We spiraled downwards into the depths, both laughing.
Just then I felt a massive vibration run through the water.
"Shit!" I muttered under my breath and Laney giggled as she unattached herself from me.
"Someone's late," She sang happily.
"Laney..," I warned but she only giggled.
"See ya girlfriend," She sang as she swam home.
I sighed as I swam home in a hurry, my mom is scary when she gets mad.