CHAPTER 5

~ The Competition ~
_________________

The four weeks of hard training passed by in a flash. By the beginning of October, they were more confident in their abilities, however their 'team managers' weren't feeling the same.

The group of teenagers made their way eagerly down to breakfast to plan what was in store for the rest of the day.

"Look, all I'm saying is that 20 press ups isn't going to help you fight a Manticore," Lily raised her arms defensively.

"And I'm telling you that you never know! Maybe we'll have a... press up contest, who'd be laughing then huh?" James retorted.

"Alright I'll give you that. At least you'd beat your spaghetti armed friend in that," Lily gestured at Sirius

He placed his hand on his heart and gasped, "you take that back Lily Evans! I'll have you know I am a man of pure muscle and strength."

"Sure you are Padfoot," Remus tapped Sirius' biceps, blushing slightly as he did.

"Everyone quiet down, thank you," Dumbledores voice boomed through the room, "As you know the Triwizard tournament is moving ever closer towards us and, as the name suggests, there are three schools competing for the trophy. As many of you are aware today is the day we get to finally meet our competitors, I'm sure most of you were there to witness the entrances of our fellow schools, and I am sure you will give them the warmest welcome when they come to the feast tonight."

❂ ❂ ❂

By the evening, the whole schools had become buzzed with excitement. People wanted to know who they were going to be seeing around campus more, and wanted to look good for introductions.

"Do I look okay Lily?" Marlene looked at her friend.

"Mars, you look beautiful as always."

"Thanks, but I mean do I look menacing you know? I need to make a good impression on these guys, I need them to look at me and think 'ooh there's a force to be reckoned with."

Lily giggled, "I'm sure they will. You can look beautiful and menacing at the same time - in fact that'll probably make them even more terrified of you."

"Perfect," Marlene grinned happily at the compliment.

As the girls were chatting away, James came and sat next to Lily, brushing against her shoulder in a subtle attempt to get her attention.

Lily turned around, rolled her eyes and turned back.

"Hey Evans! What's up with the cold shoulder?" James asked, a bit hurt.

"Cold shoulder? James we're not friends, I don't have to talk to you," Lily flipped back around and continued talking.

"Oh alright," his voice was small, and now he was definitely hurt. He thought he'd been making progress, getting her to talk to him more, but apparently not.

Sirius plopped down on the seat besides him, "hey Prongs!"

"Oh no what's up?" He added after seeing James' face.

"Evans just totally blanked me," he numbered sadly.

Sirius burst out laughing and shook his head, "and? Hasn't she been doing that to you for the last 4 years mate? Surely your used to it by now?"

"I thought we were making progress though, we've done all the training together and-"

"My dearest Prongsy-poo you realise the only reason she was doing that with us was to make sure Marlene was included and ready? I am sorry mate but... you didn't really think she would like you that easy did you?"