chapter thirteen

Jennie said to take it slow and that's exactly what we were doing. The last two months were a dream. Jennie and I had grown closer than ever, and although we weren't an official couple yet and had done no more than kiss, it was perfect. Everything was perfect.

No more threats. No more distractions. Nothing to stop us from being together. Just me and Jennie.

At least, that was until I got a knock on the door one Sunday morning.

It's early when I hear it and I'm still in bed. I can't think who would come knocking at this time unplanned, but only one way to find out. The floor's cold so I slip into some socks before leaving the room and going down the stairs.

I'm three stairs from the bottom when they start knocking again.

"Alright, alright, I'm coming!"

God, I had a good mind to greet whoever the hell it was with a punch in the face. No respect. No decorum. It's nine in the morning, for crying out loud.

"What do you--" I'm cut off by seeing the person in front of me. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"What am I doing here? What the hell are you doing here, Lisa?"

"I live here now," I state simply as the woman in front of me pushes past me in search of the living room. I follow her as she finds it and we both take a seat on the sofa.

"For how long have you lived here?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "Almost two years now, maybe."

"Really? Because it was one of the first times we met when you told me you could never move back to Seoul because you'd killed too many people here."

"That was a long time ago," I say nonchalantly and shrug my shoulders again.

"And why haven't you been answering my calls?"

"What calls?" My face contorts into confusion.

"I've been calling you every day for the past three months. I thought something happened to you."

"Like what? I got arrested?" I grin.

"Yes, exactly that."

"I'm too smart to get caught, Jisoo."

"And my calls?" She tilts her head as she asks again.

"I haven't checked my other phone in some months. I didn't see your calls," I explain.

Jisoo and I became very close instantly when we first met years ago after she caught me killing someone and then helped me clean it up, but as time went on life drove us in different directions, and if we ever had to make contact with each other we had a separate phone because when we usually did have to make contact, it was for something we'd prefer to keep as discreet as possible.

"You said you've been living here for about two years now? Haven't you been in the same place for too long?"

"I haven't been killing much, so I'm fine."

My answer takes Jisoo by surprise, and it takes a few moments before she can even respond, the shock evident on her face.

"Lisa Manoban hasn't been killing?"

"Exactly right." I smile at her.

"When was the last time you killed?"

I furrow my brows and contemplate how I should answer her. "When was the last time I killed, or when was the last time I tried to kill?"

I watch as Jisoo's face contorts from shock to fear to anger in but a few moments.

"What the hell do you mean "try to kill'?"