chapter nine

A Saturday date night with Jennie was just what I needed. Of course, she still had a boyfriend, but tonight I could shift the energy between us so she could go from seeing me as a good friend to someone she would potentially date.

Jennie's sexuality was still unclear to me. She hadn't given me any indications to suggest that she might like girls, but either way, something as trivial as her sexuality was insignificant in the face of what we had.

Whether she liked girls or not, she would like me romantically. She just didn't know it yet.

A few glasses of wine, a touch that lingered too long here and there, these things could change the tides and the very dynamic of our relationship. I needed an in, and I planned to get it. Tonight. Although my plans hadn't been going well lately, especially when it came to her.

I had spent the days since our last meeting following her of course, but now since it was Saturday, I would be seeing her again freely, tonight. She had taken the courtesy of texting me in the morning, just to confirm our plans and tell me to meet her at the restaurant she had made reservations in. I text back to tell her that I would be picking her up and driving us both there. She didn't oppose.

Dressed smartly in a simple shirt, pants and blazer, with light makeup and my wallet in my pocket, I drove to Jennie's house at 19:00. Jennie had said it was her treat, but when the time came, I would be paying the bill and she would graciously accept after a little back and forth. I had everything planned out. The conversation co-depended on her, but I had a general direction that I would be pushing it in to get her closer to me.

"You look beautiful, Jennie." Dressed in a red dress that showed off her body without revealing enough to me, Jennie sat in the passenger seat. She was teasing me. I didn't mind, so long as I got the full prize in the end.

"You clean up well yourself, Lisa." Almost like she didn't even think about it, she reached her hand out and dusted nothing off of my sleeve. It was innocent, I didn't doubt it, but this girl was playing with fire.

"Really?" I gave a lazy smile before turning my eyes back to the road.

"Yeah. You look..." she paused, seemingly looking for the right word, "handsome," she concluded. "I know, that's something that's not traditionally used to describe women, but you're not exactly a traditional woman are you, Lisa? Don't get me wrong, you look good, but I mean, you're dressed in a suit."

"Yeah, I don't really feel comfortable in dresses," I reply simply, since there's not much else to it.

"You've never worn a dress?"

"I mean, my mom used to make me wear them when I was little, but never out of choice." I could elaborate a lot more on this, had I chosen to, but I kept my responses simple, as I always did. Until she was mine officially, I would keep her in the dark.

"Ah, I'm sorry," she said sincerely. "That couldn't have been easy, being forced to wear clothes you don't feel comfortable with for the sake of other people's happiness. Gender identity and gender expression is so important, even when it's different to what people expect, especially at such a crucial age. I'm glad you can dress comfortably now though."

Soulmate.

"Thank you, Jennie." I had to bite back a smirk and the urge to kiss her. With each second that passed and without even knowing it, Jennie proved more and more that she was meant for me.

I mean, she got me, she understood me. Should I have been beaten because I preferred to wear pants instead of skirts? Or boxers instead of knickers? I was still me. I was still a girl. I just wasn't like other girls. I couldn't help it.