Chapter 10- The Key

These past couple of days have been rough. I've tried to not get involved with the Lyoko Warriors as much as possible but... they keep relying on me. I can't help them, no matter how much they need it, because they won't grow.

"Guys..." I started. "I want to leave the group." I received mixed expressions from everyone. "My entire existence has made you depend on me. And I can't have that, for the sake of the world and for you guys. So never come asking for help, from me. Ever again." I didn't look at their expressions after that. "But you're free to hire anyone else." Why did I word it that way?

I spent all day just ignoring Yumi, making sure to take my position at the back of the classroom again. These past couple of weeks have been fun but I remember the latest episode. So the last episode of season 2 where Aelita does is near.

I don't want to think about it. And honestly, it brings up a question. What would happen to me? My avatar is still bugged up! Would I die of Lyoko ceases to exist?

I made sure not to think about anything ever again, and focused on my studies and found it hard to do so. Without much choice, I went down to my mother. "Hey mum. Can I ask you a question?" She nodded. "If I ruined two people's friendships because I interfered, how can I fix it, to the time when I didn't exist?"

She thought about this for a long time. "I would apologies and say it's my fault."

"No one will accept that, even the stubborn friend," I chuckled. "I ruined something really important for me and my friends and now... I wonder how their life will turn out... and it's because I know something that they don't. I can't tell them what it is because that would ruin their future."

"Tell them that you'll be their guardian angel, only stepping in when you have to and helping them when they need it," she smiled. "I hope you make up with your friends."

"Thanks mum," I said with a smile. I lay in bed for a long time and eventually passed out.

I wasn't sure of what really happened, I hadn't been staying up as much, so what happened? I have no idea. I checked my journal, not remembering anything about this episode, other than Aelita's death. She turns off the supercomputer? Why was I affected then?

Without much of a choice, I called the group but got no response. They must be on Lyoko. I grabbed my keys and rushed out the door to the factory. To speed things up, I also grabbed my bike.

Once I reached the entrance of the factory, I placed my bike by the edge of the entrance and slid down. I noticed that the elevator wasn't stationed at the top floor. I decided it was best not to interfere. Right now, they're probably trying to fix Aelita. I have no reason to involve myself in such matters. I went around, through the boiler room. It was quite late and I was expecting the gang to be there. Thankfully they were.

I jumped down which surprised Jeremie. Beside him were Ulrich, Odd and Yumi, each wearing mortified expressions. It's happening, I thought.

"We might be able to save her!" Jeremie shouted. "Ruby, you-"

"Aelita..." I mumbled. "I can't." I passed out again.

When I woke up, Yumi and Odd surrounded me. "What... What happened?" I asked.

"You collapsed," Odd stated. "Nothing too serious."

"And Aelita?"

"She..." Yumi began.

"The scanner room!" I screamed jumping up. We jumped down to where Aelita collapsed out of a scanner and into Jeremie's arms. She had just remembered everything about her life.

Without having much to say, I quietly left, knowing that it wasn't my place to consult her. I silently waved at the two who paid attention to me: Ulrich and Odd, and began my journey home.

I still didn't understand so much... Why did I collapse, twice? Was it because Lyoko was temporarily shut down? Am I linked to Lyoko like Aelita once was? Why now? How? My digital avatar bugged up because of XANA. Do I have to live out my life, trying to defeat XANA as soon as I can so I can finally live peacefully?