Chapter 23

Chapter 23: The Awakening

Walking back to the castle made me feel more conscious than running through the courtyard earlier. Every knight and castle staff that we passed by gave me curious looks. Idagdag pa na tumitigil ang ilan sa paglalakad o sa kanilang mga ginagawa para lang tumingin sa akin kaya gusto ko na lang tumakbo para makaiwas sa kanila.

I could also feel Sigrid's irritation despite her impassive expression. Well, I couldn't blame her, because instead of meeting the royal family, I went to my retainers, who were probably deemed as insignificant compared to them.

I strode toward Moria's direction. "She's angry, isn't she?" bulong ko habang nakatingin sa likod ni Sigrid. She was walking with obvious haste, yet she managed to maintain her elegance.

Moria nodded in response. "She's a tracker, lady, so she likes everything to be in order. On top of that, royal maids are sticklers for punctuality. They do not like it if their supposed schedules are not followed."

Napalunok na lang ako nang marinig ko 'yon. She might be the in the same class as Kei, but Sigrid was way scarier than him. Idagdag pa na kakakilala ko lang sa kanya. Mas lalo tuloy akong natakot na i-approach siya dahil sa nangyari kanina.

Meanwhile, Kei was still struggling to walk by himself, so Irus was assisting him. Rurik said he would need days of rest to fully recover, but he insisted on going with me. Still, I was thankful that he reverted to his old self and could do things on his own will.

After a few minutes, we were finally back to the main building of the palace. We quietly followed Sigrid, thinking that we were going to the throne room, but I frowned upon seeing the familiar hallway.

"Sigrid?" I called in confusion. "Are we going back to my room?"

She lightly bowed in response. "Yes, lady."

"I thought we're going to meet the royal family?"

Sigrid stared a long moment, and I hoped she wasn't cursing me inside her head. With a dejected sigh, she turned around and continued walking.

"Surely, you won't present yourself to the king in that plain dress, lady?" she commented, a hint of displeasure on her tone.

Huh? This dress was still plain to her? Halos mahiya na nga ako nang isuot ko ito dahil mukha akong a-attend ng sobrang formal na event. I didn't want to wear something fancier than this!

Sigrid halted upon arriving in front of my room. Her maid dress billowed as she turned to my direction. The door creaked open, and she gestured me to come in. "Please allow me to pick a better dress for you, Lady."

***

My retainers accompanied me inside the room, much to Sigrid's dismay. Hindi ko alam kung may history ba siya sa tatlo o ganoon lang talaga ang personality niya. She seemed to be hostile with them.

Irus stood guard beside the door, while Moria examined the surroundings. Napaupo naman ako sa kama habang dumiretso naman si Sigrid sa closet. She promised to return with the best dress she could find, which I hoped would be something I could possibly wear.

"Scared, lady?"

Halos mapatalon ako nang marinig ko ang boses ni Kei sa gilid ko. Pagtingin ko ay nakaupo na siya sa tabi ko. He still looked frazzled, but the blood he just drank seemed to be taking effect now.

"Lady?" he repeated, and I realized I was staring at his face worriedly for several seconds now. I cleared my throat, trying to remember his question.

"I would be lying if I said no," I murmured, thinking of what could happen after meeting the sovereign of this country.