Chapter 19

19: Grandma Told Me a Story

Kahit nakapasok na kami sa Vrivarya ay parang nasa gubat pa rin kami. The uneven ground was making it harder for me but the four sauntered with ease, as if it were a paved road. Coniferous trees dotted the landscape. There were also trees that looked strange—several had silver leaves, while others had their trunks and stems contorted in unusual shapes.

There was an eerie silence around us, like the forest was also holding its breath. Roesia, my former grandmother, picked up her pace, and we had no choice but to follow closely. Ang dami kong gustong itanong sa kanya pero hindi ko alam kung paano ko sisimulan.

I remembered her old appearance from my memories. She had always been strict to me, but now, she seemed harder to approach. Meanwhile, Tata was carefree. I suddenly wondered where he was right now.

We kept on walking for almost an hour and my legs were seconds away from collapsing when Roesia suddenly halted. Two guys dressed in black uniforms stood in front of us and gave their salute to Roesia. Behind them was an obsidian black carriage with gold embellishments on the door. Perhaps it was because of its sinister vibe that I was not sure if I could board that. It felt like the carriage of death.

But what made me more frightened was when I saw the two horses where the carriage was fastened. They were literally just made of their skeletons, their bones black. Where their eyes should be, crimson lights that flickered like flames ensconced. Some sharp bones protruded from their back and their heads were covered with armored helmets.

I was pretty sure those were undead horses.

"Lady, please," gestured Roesia toward the carriage.

Kahit na ayaw ko ay wala akong nagawa kundi sundin siya. Besides, gusto ko na ring maupo dahil ilang araw na kaming naglalakad nang walang tigil.

Pagpasok ko ro'n ay napaawang ang bibig ko dahil hindi ko inasahan na gano'n kalaki ang loob. From the outside, it looked like a normal carriage, but a spacious interior came into my view. There was also a thin wall dividing the inside into two quarters. Roesia motioned the three to take the smaller compartment while the two of us settled in the larger one in front.

Despite being with her all my life, I felt awkward to be alone with her this time. First, because her appearance and demeanor were way too different from what I could remember, and second, I wasn't sure if the motherly love she felt for me was also a façade.

Mas gusto ko pang makasama ang tatlo sa likuran. Even though our time together was short and most were near-death experiences, at least I knew everything that happened was real.

"You must have been, exhausted, lady," she said.

At the back of my mind, I was hoping she would call me by my name. Kahit kasi sina Moria ay "lady" ang tawag sa akin. Nobody called me Victoria anymore after leaving Hallim. I started wondering if she was the one who gave me my name . . . or my real parents, whoever they were.

I forced a smile. "Kind of," sagot ko. "We have been running away for weeks."

She bowed her head slightly. "I deeply apologize for not being there for you, lady. Baldric and I had our hands full that day."

"Baldric?"

An amused smile escaped her lips. "Ah, your grandfather, if you prefer that, lady."

My cheeks grew hot. I should have known that already, given the fact that it was only the two of them who knew each other's cover.

"Uhm, is he safe?" I hesitantly asked.

She looked at me as I just asked a stupid question. "Of course, he is, lady. That man may look foolish, but he is strong."