Chapter 3

03: My Retainers Searched for Maidens

Despite not having any heartbeat, it felt like my whole body was pounding from the terror of jumping hundreds of meters from the Halim cliffs. My legs wobbled as I tried to stand up. Meanwhile, Irus retreated into the shadows. Kei scanned the surroundings as if nothing had happened.

"Let's move," he said. "Irus can't help us now."

I wasn't sure how I managed to move but after hours of walking into the tropical rain forest of Batara, we finally made it to the suburbs of a major city.

Napatingin ako sa kalangitan. The sun glistened above the clear sky. I felt its warmth touching my skin, along with the gentle wind.

Nagsimula namang maglakad si Kei. He put on his cap and scarf, covering his entire face. I wondered if the sun could affect him, just like how vampires were portrayed in fiction, but if that was the case, why was I not affected? I had been living under the sun for seventeen years and I didn't feel uncomfortable. At all. Well, maybe except for extreme summer days.

He led the way to the city. Some people were throwing glances at us and I realized I looked like I had been living on the streets for days. My white shirt had turned gray from dirt and mud. My jeans were torn, and twigs were hanging from the ripped parts. I was covered with cuts and soot and my face must have been the worst part.

Napayuko na lang ako sa hiya. I wanted to borrow Khmer's cap and scarf but I don't think he would let me.

I didn't realize he stopped walking so I bumped onto his back. Magso-sorry na sana ako pero bigla siyang lumingon sa akin. He grabbed my right arm and pulled me into a narrow alleyway before I could ask him what was going on.

"Katteris," he whispered.

I wasn't sure if he had said that term before but I was too exhausted to remember. Two middle-aged women passed by and they seemed normal at first but when I squinted my eyes, their forms changed into younger ones for a few seconds.

"W-what are those?" I mouthed as I pointed at their direction.

He was silent until the two were out of our sight. He let go of my arm and unraveled his scarf. He draped it on my head and coiled both ends around the bottom half of my face.

"You smell," he said in a deadpan manner.

Hindi agad nag-sink in ang sinabi niya dahil pagod na ako at ang dami ko ring iniisip, pero napanganga na lamang ako nang ma-process ng utak ko iyon.

"W-wha—"

I scoffed at him in disbelief. Did he really have to say it that way? I mean, I had been traveling since yesterday! I hadn't even bathed yet! What did he expect?!

"You—!"

"Katteris could pick up the scent of high clans," he continued. "Yours may not be that strong after being with a mage and tracker for quite some time but you need to be careful."

Napatitig na lang ako matapos niyang sabihin 'yon. Wait, so he didn't mean . . .

"At least wear my scarf," he whispered. "Maybe it could hide your scent for a while."

"Oh. Okay."

We continued walking and I felt embarrassed after thinking he was talking about that smell. Well, I didn't know about the scent he was talking about either so of course I'd assume he was being rude.

Nakarating kami sa city proper makalipas ang ilan pang oras. He said we should avoid traveling by public vehicles because some humans could see through disguises, especially kids and older people. True enough, some toddlers kept on pointing at us, tugging their parents' clothes to let them know what they were seeing. We picked up our pace and we arrived in a packed street.