End: The Paradigm Shift

Kill or be killed.

This had been the unwritten law of the land since time immemorial. Only the fittest would survive, and only the strongest could conquer the top.

And one of the apex creatures that were capable of such feat were the vampires. The strongest among the undead and the most favored due to their bloodline abilities, they could even rival other dominant creatures like the skinwalkers and magi. What made them more formidable was that they were practically immortal. Other species would not even dare cross paths with them, perhaps apart from the magi or the magic-borns, their archnemesis.

Magi were humans gifted with witchcraft abilities and longer lifespan. Despite being physically weaker than the undead, they were able to protect the humans from other creatures by using magic and their cunning abilities to exploit the vampires' grave weakness: their sparse populace due to their exceptionally rare and difficult breeding method.

There were only three vampyr kingdoms that survived the long-standing onslaught and clan extinction: the kingdoms of Vrivarya, Remis, and Slovar, which were ruled by the royal clans of Stryzyga, Lilith, and Moroi, respectively. The power balance among the three had been maintained for millennia . . . until rumors about Vrivarya having another heir reached the ears of the two kingdoms.

***

A lone, gloomy castle sat among the craggy peaks of a mountain in a country called Remis. Its walls were adorned with jet black roses and red chrysanthemums while creeping vines grew up at the sides of the towers. The castle could be considered as one of the greatest wonders in the northern region, but no one would dare call it one because it houses one of the most dangerous clans in the world.

A hooded figure emerged from the shadows and knelt in front a woman sitting in the garden. "I have returned, Your Grace."

The lush garden was such a stark contrast to the somber ambiance of the castle. Different night flowers bloomed at the sight of the moon, and some were even glowing. A white tea table set was placed in the middle of the garden where someone was quietly sipping her drink.

Despite the darkness, her milky white skin and unrivaled face stood out. Even her simple black evening dress and the runes spread across her impassive face did nothing to sully her ethereal beauty.

The woman gracefully set her cup down and shifted her gaze at the hooded figure kneeling in front of her.

"Tell me what happened, Leone," she said in an alluring yet authoritative voice.

Leone removed her hood and revealed her scarred face. "The speculations are true," she bitterly said. "I have caught up with them, but we were already too late. The second heir has returned to Vrivarya."

The woman's eyebrows slightly twitched upon seeing her retainer's marred face, but she shut her eyes for a few seconds to control her rage after what she had reported. As the rightful heir of the Lilith clan and the next sovereign of the kingdom of Remis, Hanaia had to deal with the potential heirs of the two other kingdoms. The emergence of another one from Vrivarya meant she had to deal with a more powerful Stryzyga clan for the next centuries, not to mention the sudden collapse of the millennial-old balance among the three.

"You were with Alfonse and Handor, aren't you?"

Leone knelt deeper, ashamed of what had happened. "We were defeated, Your Grace."

A thin-lipped disappointment appeared on her face. "An inexperienced vampire defeated three mages like you? Surely, that is not possible, is it?"

"She wasn't alone, Your Grace."