Chapter 9

09: Mages are Terrifying (I Know That Now)

Roots as thick as my leg emerged from the floor and coiled around my body. I tried to get away but they get tighter every time I move. In just a few seconds, my legs were bound and the attacker put her right hand around my neck.

A subtle yet sinister smile appeared on her face. "Tell me, Stryzyga," she coldly said. "What is your identity?"

My whole body was pounding from fear. Her imposing aura was more suffocating than how she held my neck. I wasn't sure what she was talking about but I doubt she would believe me if I said I really don't know anything.

The roots and vines started constricting my body tighter to the point that my legs felt numb. Before one of the roots could get a hold on my hands, I managed to free them and reached for the assailant's arms.

I almost flinched when my skin touched hers. Just like Kei and Irus, her skin was as cold as ice. However, instead of having an ashen tone, hers was as white as snow.

I remembered Kei telling me about every undead's weakness—their neck. And she just secured my weakness in an instant. Gusto kong kumawala mula sa kanya pero wala na akong lakas at hindi rin ako makagalaw.

"W-who are y-you . . ." I managed to ask as I tried to remove her hand on my neck.

Her eyes narrowed. "Oh, you need not to know."

Her grip got tighter before I could even move and it felt like my whole body was getting squeezed even though she was just holding my neck.

I had encountered several creatures after learning what I was, but this was the first time I faced something so powerful that it made me whimper. I was terrified of her.

Fear crept in my chest and throat. I wanted to get away from her as far as possible. Suddenly, my body and eyes felt hot. It was the same sensation I felt when we were facing the horde of Katteris.

"Let me go!" I screamed as I tried to yank her arm from my neck.

There was a strange sensation that surged through my body, and suddenly she yelped as her grip around my neck loosened. Hinawakan ko rin ang mga ugat na nakapulupot sa akin at matapos 'yon ay lumuwag rin ang mga ito. I ran to Irus' direction before the attacker realized what I just did.

My body was trembling terribly from what just happened. Wala pa ring malay si Irus pero nagawa ko siyang hatakin papunta sa pinakadulo ng kwarto. Nang tiningnan ko kung nasaan ang babae ay agad akong napaatras. The smile on her face had disappeared, and she was looking at me with a disdainful expression.

That was when I realized why. Black and purple blotches appeared on her wrist, the place where I held her, and those marks started spreading throughout her arms.

"You . . ." she uttered. "You really are one of them."

Before I could make sense of what she just said, she lurched at our direction and I knew this time, I wouldn't be able to escape.

"Lady!"

Nagulat na lang ako nang biglang lumitaw si Kei sa harapan ko. He fended off her attack and she flew to the other side of the room. At the same time, I heard Irus groaning beside me.

"Irus!" tawag ko.

He slowly sat up, shaking his head as he tried to get his bearings back. Kei held my arm and he was about to get Irus, too, but an invisible force shoved us against the wall. Kei groaned in pain as he received the full impact after shielding me from it.