Chapter 15

15: I Almost Killed My Comrade

Kei was a lifesaver.

We were continuously running on the narrow strip of land to get away from the school of mermaids trying to pull us below the water. Their shrill laughs and menacing smiles were a sight that was even more terrible than a ghoul's face.

I tried channeling the fear inside me through my eyes, but I couldn't concentrate because a lot were happening around me. Kei was almost carrying me already because the mermaids were persistent on attacking us. They could alter the conditions of the sea in their favor, and I watched in horror as a huge wave rose, almost engulfing the surrounding in darkness.

Moria turned her head at our direction. "Hurry!"

Kei tightened his grip on my waist as I hunched uncomfortably on his right shoulder. The sand exploded and hardened into dunes from Moria's power, temporarily blocking the waves from drowning us, just like what she did in the desert.

For almost two hours, we continued running and evading the mermaids' attacks. Irus and I were useless the entire time, and I felt bad for Kei and Moria. Every minute, I was hoping that we'd reach a landmass, but I couldn't see where we were going because it felt like I'd fall off from his shoulder if I move even with a minimal motion.

Naramdaman ko naman ang pagbagal ng takbo ni Kei at doon lang ako nagtangkang gumalaw. I moved my upper body with difficulty and caught my breath when a shore finally came into view. The few mermaids who followed us hissed angrily from afar. I just realized they halted from a significant distance, and I wondered why. Was the Northern Continent off-limits to them? Or was this a territory for other races in the sea?

Ibinaba ako ni Kei at nagtangka akong muling tumingin sa pinanggalingan namin. I saw the mermaids diving underwater already without any intent to follow us. Perhaps there was something here that even them could not fight against.

"Lady, come," called Kei.

I turned to their direction, but momentarily paused when I realized we were already in the Northern Continent. Somehow, it felt surreal. This was their home. My home.

The white and fine sand of the shore was a stark contrast from the rocky coast of Margula and Rusnia

The white and fine sand of the shore was a stark contrast from the rocky coast of Margula and Rusnia. Inland was a temperate rainforest, and thick mosses were everywhere. We were running the whole day and the sun was starting to set when we trudged inside the forest. Exhaustion had washed over us. Fortunately, the forest was a good and a much safer place to set up a camp.

Moria glanced at Irus' cocoon. "Come out."

The thick branches and vines started to unravel and revealed his bandaged face. He stood guard as soon as he stepped out of his sanctum. The sun had yet to set, but the thick canopies of trees block its rays from penetrating the forest ground, allowing him to move without being incapacitated.