Chapter 8: Carina

Carina picked up the toothpick and began to etch Maya's phone number into the wrapper.

"Where are we?" the new girl spoke. Carina jumped a little not realizing she had woken up.

"I don't know," she responded. Carina chuckled when she saw the girl begin to panic.

"What's so damn funny!" the girl responded in anger.

"Nothing, sorry. It's just kind of amusing how our roles have reversed," the girl just looked at her confused. How would their roles be reversed if she's never even met her before?

"It's just that there was this other girl before you. She was in the position I am in now and I was you," Carina laughed.

"I still don't see how that's funny and how are you so calm? How long have you been here?" she asked.

"Umm I honestly don't know. I'm guessing a few weeks. The last thing I remember is being at the mall shopping for a gift for my wife's birthday and that's on August 26th soo yea. What's the last date you remember?" she said, looking at the girl who was now sitting next to her.

"Strangely enough I was also at the mall. It was, umm, September 16th or 17th I think. I honestly don't remember everything is so hazy!" she said. Carina noticed the girl was getting flustered again, "Hey, it's okay. That's not important. What's important is that we have to find a way out of here." They both sat in silence for a minute, just staring at the blank wall in front of them.

"So, what's your name?" said the blonde.

"I am Carina, what's yours?" she responded.

"My name is Brianna. So have you been looking for a way out?"

"I have, but so far nothing has worked. Any ideas?" Carina chuckled.

"No not really," she laughed. Brianna noticed Carina was fiddling with the wrapper in her hands, "Is that your next plan," she asked.

"It is, I just need to figure out a way to get it to someone."

"What is it? Get it to who?"

"Wow lots of questions," Carina laughed, "umm it's just a gum wrapper I had found in my pocket when I first got here. I scratched my wifes phone number on it and now I just need to figure out how to get someone to believe me long enough for them to call her."

"How long have you been here?" Brianna asked.

"Well according to what you said, I would say about three weeks. Give or take a few days." she responded. Carina saw Brianna get a defeated look on her face and decided to tell her about Maya and Gianna as well as her life back home. The two girls talked for hours, getting to know one another. Carina found out that the girl was a third year student at the University of Washington and had also been at the mall before waking up here. Brianna was originally from California and had made very few friends upon moving here, so she wasn't sure how long it would take for someone to realize she had gone missing. This provided a larger sense of urgency for both girls, and made it that much more important that they get the wrapper out to someone. They continued to talk until the music came on, indicating that the attraction was about to begin. Carina made her way to the bars and kept an eye out for anyone walking by.

"What if no one thinks it's real?" asked Brianna.

"We just keep trying, everyday until someone takes it," she said, not taking her eye off the doorway.

People began pouring in. Group after group, Carina tried to get someone to listen and take the wrapper. Brianna decided to give it a try, giving Carina a chance to catch her breath. She begged for what seemed like hours before the brunette decided to give it another go.