Chapter 11: Maya

Just as Gianna was about to finish reading her princess story Maya began to cough and gag, reaching her hand up to try and pull the tube that was sitting in her throat.

"She's awake!" Vic yelled. 

*********************************************************************

"Mommy! What's wrong with mommy?!" shouted Gianna, watching her mom's sudden struggle.

"It's okay, Gigi. Mommy's alright," reassured Vic. She picked up Gianna, moving back to the corner of the room.

"Maya, it's okay. It's alright. I'll get the tube out in a minute," said Amelia as she lowered the top of Maya's bed so that she was now laying flat. The doctor gently pulled on the tube, sliding it out. It was one of the most uncomfortable sensations Maya had ever experienced. She looked around trying to figure out what was happening. The blonde looked confused and slightly panicked, her gaze immediately softening when it landed on her daughter and Vic who were standing in the opposite corner of the room.

"Gia," she rasped, struggling to hold her arms out. Vic made her way over to the side of the bed and moved to put the child down with her mother.

"No, I don't want to," she whined, clutching onto Vic's shirt and wrapping her tiny legs around her.

"Gigi, it's mommy. Don't you wanna see her?" asked Vic. The little girl shook her head, burying her face into the firefighters shoulder.

"It's okay," she smiled, "Carina?" she asked, her voice still faint and raspy. The blonde looked back and forth between Amelia and Vic. The expression on each of their faces spoke a thousand words.

"What's going on?" asked Maya, sitting up a bit more as a sense of panic began to set in. At first she had attributed her wife's absence to something work related. Maybe she had been paged or had a patient to attend to, but after watching her friends' faces go from hopeful to distraught she wasn't entirely sure.

"Do you know where you are?" spoke up Amelia.

"Yeah, I'm at Grey Sloan," responded Maya.

"Perfect, and who's that?" said the doctor as she pointed toward Vic and Gianna.

"My friend and coworker Vic and my daughter Gianna," she responded.

"Okay, do you remember what year it is?" asked Amelia. Maya thought for a moment, unable to recall anything prior to waking up. She remembered her last dinner with her wife and daughter as well as Carina leaving for the mall the next day. Everything was blank after that. Carina had been shopping for her birthday so it had to be the month of August, but that's all she could decipher. The question had thrown Maya into a spiral, her brain going a hundred miles per hour trying to piece everything together.

"August 2021," she guessed. Vic looked over at Amelia who gestured for her to take the child out of the room.

"How about some ice cream?" she asked Gianna as they both made their way out of the hospital room. Amelia walked behind them, shutting the door. She took a seat next to Maya and reached out for her hand, holding it tightly.

"Maya, the information I am about to give you is going to upset you. I need you to try and stay as calm as you can for me, okay?" warned the doctor.

"Okay?" Maya agreed hesitantly. She watched the doctor expectantly, waiting for her to gather her thoughts.

"Okay, so today is Monday November 1st," sighed the doctor as she watched Maya become more and more confused.

"You had an overdose a little over two weeks ago and have been in a coma ever since," she continued.