thirty six | a night of neglect

Rachel said to Sunshine, "You are a terrible spy

Rachel said to Sunshine, "You are a terrible spy."

Artie replied, "Seriously, with your size, you easily could have stayed in the air ducts for days."

With a shake of her head, Sunshine told them, "I'm not a spy. I heard about your benefit concert on Facebook, and I wanted to perform. I know what it feels like to be in Academic Decathlon. No one pays attention to you. No one cares. It's not right. We study so hard."

Quinn said to her, "Yeah, but you're in Vocal Adrenaline. How do we know we can trust you?"

Sunshine told her, "Because I have nothing against any of you." While Christian raised an eyebrow in pure disbelief from what Sunshine had just said, Sunshine said, "I have six-hundred Twitter followers. I can get all of them to come."

Finn turned to Noah and asked him, "How many tickets have we sold so far?"

Noah replied, "Four. No one's interested. It's just sad."

Sunshine said to them, "Please, just let me show you what I can do. I would like to sing the perfect song about neglect, 'All By Myself'. I'm such a better singer than everyone else, so I know how it feels. I'm all alone at the top. Also, I'm really short." While Christian said 'yeah, no kidding', she said to them, "So even when I'm in a group of people, it feels like I'm wandering alone through a forest."

Rachel told them, "There's no way that she's singing in our auditorium, okay? She's the enemy."

Christian replied, "Yeah, Rachel's right. I mean, Rachel sent the girl to a frickin' crack house. Why should any of us believe that she doesn't have any ulterior motive after that stunt Rachel pulled?"

While Rachel quickly turned her head and gave Christian a pointed look, Noah said, "I say we gave her a chance. I mean, you owe her, Rachel. You sent her to a frickin' crack house."

* * *

With his arms crossed over his chest, Christian did nothing but eye Sunshine as she sang into the microphone, "When I was young, I never needed anyone and making love was just for fun. Those days are gone. Living alone, I think of all the friends I've known. When I dial the telephone, nobody's home." After a couple seconds of just the piano being heard, Sunshine sang, "All by myself. Don't wanna be all by myself anymore. All by myself. Don't wanna live all by myself anymore..."

After Artie yelled 'go on, now', Sunshine sang, "Don't wanna live by myself, by myself anymore. By myself anymore. Whoa, oh-oh, oh-oh."

While everyone but Christian and Rachel broke into applause, Sunshine asked into the microphone, "So, can I perform with you guys?"

Christian only scoffed in response before he shared a look with Rachel, who looked just as skeptical as he did.

* * *