Chapter Five

Two days later, the Era finally limped into the port of Allinesse, and Castiel commanded all his guard to dress nicely and put their armour back on.

Dean shoved on his red jacket and short cloak, pinning Castiel's sigil to his chest and wrapping his scarf around his neck. He looked out of the huge windows, but there was nothing to see. The mist that descended on them had only thickened into a heavy fog, so all there was to look at were the dense white clouds and the frothing waves at the side of the ship. Dean was waiting for Castiel to finish changing, and the rustling sound behind the screen told him the King wasn't quite done yet, so he collapsed back onto his bed, growing bored.

'How long does it take for you to get dressed?' Dean groaned.

'There are a lot of layers,' Castiel grumbled, 'and you can't speak to me that way.'

'Of course, I'm sorry. I meant to say: how long does it take for you to get dressed, Your Majesty?'

Castiel poked his head around the screen with a disapproving frown. 'If you can't address me properly in private, at least make an effort in front of Queen Naomi, or anyone in Allinesse for that matter.'

'Are you going to fire me if I don't?'

'Please stop. Are you ready?'

'I've been ready for a while now.'

'Then let's go.'

Castiel finally came out from behind the screen, resplendent in deep blue velvet, trimmed with silver, a long, thick cloak, and rich black leather gloves. Shining silver chains lay across his chest, his sigil dangling from them.

Dean whistled. 'You look great.'

'There's no need to make fun of me,' said Castiel, frowning again.

'No, I mean it.'

Castiel just rolled his eyes and knelt down in front of the chest at the foot of his bed, carefully lifting out the crown.

It had been a long time since Dean had seen it, and never up close. It was entirely made of delicate, woven silver. It had no jewels or expensive velvet, but it shone so brightly Dean could hardly believe it was real. The silver filaments were so fine and intricate, it couldn't possibly have been made by human hands.

Castiel took a deep breath as he put it on, as though he expected it to fall down, reliving his humiliation all over again. Thankfully, it now fit snugly about his ears. He smoothed out the small creases in his cloak and pasted a smile on his face.

'Let's go.'

The crew of the ship were waiting for them, so they could formally disembark, forming a line either side of the gangplank to bow to Castiel as he passed. Benny, Alfie and the rest of the guard fell into step behind Dean. All of them had serious expressions, having all been to Allinesse before.

Castiel alighted first, striding across the gangplank, and waited on the cobblestones below.

Dean followed close behind, stumbling when he walked on solid ground. The King caught him under the arm, shooting him a concerned look, to which Dean replied with a slight shake of the head.

Castiel nodded and looked up at a wide, cobbled street. The fog still rolled through the air, so the buildings around were nothing but shadowy shifting shapes, looming overhead.

'What are we waiting for?' Dean asked, the fog muffling his voice.

'Hush,' Castiel whispered irritably.

They all stood stock still, in silence, waiting.

At last, Dean saw figures walking through the fog, and he noticed Castiel's shoulders tighten.