Chapter Twelve

The further they went into Negium the hotter they all got. The sun blazed down, baking the earth. Plant life was sparse, but the river rushing past provided enough relief for them and their horses. After a day of slowly making their way up the river, a cool breeze finally stirred the stifling air, and they all breathed a sigh of relief.

Castiel was still exhausted when they stopped for the evening, and had to be helped down from his horse, but he was in good spirits otherwise.

'We should stop at the vineyards on the way,' Charlie said excitedly, as they all sat around the fire. 'I'm sure they won't mind.'

'It would be a good chance to rest as well,' Dean muttered to Castiel, who was sitting quietly beside him.

Castiel shook his head. 'We're already late,' he said. 'I'd rather just get there.'

'All right,' said Dean. 'How much further?'

Castiel shrugged, looking up at the stars. 'I'd say another day, give or take.' He was struggling to keep his eyes open and dropped the spoon he was holding into his bowl.

Dean escorted him to his tent, while the others laughed and joked around the fire. 'Charlie's on watch tonight,' he murmured, as Castiel ducked inside.

'All right. Get some rest, Dean,' came Castiel's voice, as a candle was lit and flickered inside.

'Coming from you,' Dean sniggered.

Castiel poked his head back out of the tent. 'Goodnight, Dean,' he said firmly.

Instead of going to his own tent, Dean wandered over to the river, watching it flow lazily back west. The moon's light reflected on the surface, and Dean sat on the bank to dip his feet in the water. He sighed quietly. Voices drifted over to him from the campfire, but he didn't hear the footsteps behind him.

'What are you doing?' Charlie asked.

Dean jumped. 'Nothing. You're meant to be on watch.'

Charlie sat down next to him, crossing her legs. 'What's the matter?'

Dean rolled his eyes. 'I just don't know what I'm doing here.'

'What do you mean?'

'Well, the King has you,' Dean said. 'What am I here for? I'm just extra baggage at this point.'

To his surprise, Charlie looked at him as though he'd grown an extra head. 'Are you joking? You're here because he wants you to be. You're his friend.'

'I am? Really?'

'It's hard to explain, but he wasn't like this before. I mean, he was with me, but he didn't really talk to anyone else. He's been a lot more open since he met you. I know it's hard to tell, but he is. Take the compliment, Dean, and stop moping around.'

'All right, all right,' Dean said grumpily. 'Get back to the watch, will you?'

'Nope,' Charlie said, stubbornly folding her arms.

Dean sighed again, then glanced back at the camp, making sure he couldn't be heard. 'You know what healing does to him?'

Charlie nodded.

'When we were on the mountain, the Goddess told me that she called me because I'm supposed to help fix it,' Dean told her, 'but I don't know what that means. How am I meant to do something she can't? I'm just an ordinary man, what can I do?'

Charlie stared at him curiously. 'I don't know either,' she said eventually. 'It obviously means you're meant to be here though. Just stick it out and see what happens.'