Chapter Seventeen

Dean kept guard outside Castiel's room that night, alone after sending Charlie away. He knew full well that Castiel would not be sleeping, but he hoped that his presence at the door would be a comfort. The rest of the castle bustled all through the night, and Dean could hear the army gathering at the edge of town.

Dean only left just before dawn so he could don his armour, before he returned to Castiel's door. The first rays of sunshine touched the horizon, and Castiel emerged dressed in full plate armour that gleamed in the torchlight. His sigil had been worked into the breastplate. He wore his silver band, a thick long cloak, and a grim expression. He said nothing, and led the way out of the castle and found their horses waiting at the gate, as well as the rest of his guard and Charlie, all of them wearing their chainmail with their swords at their waists.

They all turned to look at the King and bowed as he approached.

'Are you sure you all want to do this?' Castiel asked quietly.

They all nodded and mounted their horses.

Castiel sighed and followed suit. 'Hannah, I want you with the left flank, Benny with the right. Alfie, stay back with the reserves, we'll need someone to bring the town guard up to scratch once this is over, so protect yourself. Alex and Jack, you stay in the center, protect the generals. Ash, with the cavalry. Do you all understand your orders?'

'Yes, Your Majesty,' they all said.

Castiel spurred on his horse and rode through town, while the guard made their way to their positions.

Just as they reached the edge of town, they were stopped by a few men dressed in odd bits of armour and holding makeshift weapons, who bowed hastily.

'What is it?' Castiel asked.

The men hesitated, then one of them stepped forward. 'We heard that you said no civilians were allowed in battle, but we want to fight too.'

Castiel shook his head. 'I can't allow that, you're not trained.'

'But this is our land too,' the man protested. 'We want to fight for it. We want to fight for you.'

Castiel looked pained, unable to explain why he didn't want them to come without revealing that they were likely to lose.

'You can't stop us,' another of the men said. 'You can tell us not to come, but we'll just follow you anyway.'

Castiel rubbed his face. 'All right,' he conceded, 'but anyone who isn't a trained soldier stays at the back, understand? None of you should do any fighting unless absolutely vital.'

'Thank you, Your Majesty.'

Castiel moved past them, and Dean caught up to him.

'There's nothing you could have done about it,' Dean said at his guilty expression. 'You heard them, they would have come anyway.'

Castiel just shook his head. 'I was hoping to keep them out of it.' He drew himself up and continued through the rows and rows of soldiers waiting for his command. The generals were waiting for him at the front.

'Is everything ready?' Castiel asked. 'The supply train?'

'Yes, Your Majesty.'

'All right, take your places.'

The generals turned their horses around and trotted back through the army, then another horse came back behind them.

'Sam, what are you doing!' Dean exclaimed, attempting to grab the horse's reins and lead it and Sam back into town.

Sam slapped his hand away. 'I'm coming with you,' he said forcefully.

'No, absolutely not-'

'Dean, listen-'