Chapter 12

Kurt's POV
(the day of the wedding)

This is it: the day I'm getting married to Blaine. I have never and could never be happier than I am right now; it's like my whole life has led up to this day.

"You look great, Kurt," Rachel says. "How do you feel? You nervous?"

"Why would I be? All my life, I've never been more sure that I'm making the right decision. This is the first day of the rest of my life, Rachel. The start of a new chapter, one in which I'm married to the love of my life."

"Well put. Now c'mon, let's go get you married."

---
Because neither Blaine nor I are particularly religious, and because we have a mutual connection to Rachel, we decided that she would be the best person to officiate our wedding, and of course she agreed to it.

"Dearly beloved," Rachel begins, "we are gathered here in the face of this company to bear witness to the matrimony of Kurt Elizabeth Hummel and Blaine Devon Anderson. Before we get to the 'I do's and the vows and all that fun stuff, I'd like to say a few words." Rachel wants to say a few words? Oh, dear. We're gonna be here all day, maybe even all night. For Rachel Berry, "a few words" usually means a full-blown speech.

She continues, "I've known both Kurt and Blaine since the three of us were in college, and I don't think I could think of two people who are more perfect for each other than the two of them, even if I tried. I've seen their relationship grow from strangers to acquaintances to friends to best friends, and then finally, to more than friends. And I could not be more honored that they've chosen me to officiate their wedding. Kurt, the floor is yours."

"Thank you for that, Rachel," I say. "Somehow you managed to make my wedding about you. I don't know how you always do that. It's a talent. In all seriousness, though, that was very sweet of you. But I digress. Anyway, my vows. Blaine, before you came into my life, I was just a 19-year-old kid from Wyoming who hadn't done anything meaningful with his life yet, and now seven years later, I'm here, doing something that to me is more meaningful than anything else I've done: becoming your husband. There is nobody I'd rather spend the rest of my life with than you. I love everything about you, Blaine. All the little things, from the way you look in the morning before you've gelled your hair to the fact that you can't stand the sight of blood but still insist on watching Grey's Anatomy."

"Despite all the blood, I still enjoy watching Grey's for the plot," he says, then adds, "and by 'the plot,' I mean 'Mark Sloan and Derek Shepherd.'"

"I'm sure," I reply. "I'm a huge fan of 'the plot' too. But back to what I was saying, you are amazing, more so than you know. I love you, Blaine. With all my heart."

"I love you too, Kurt," says Blaine. "As you know all too well, the moment I fell in love with you was watching you perform 'Being Alive' at the NYADA Winter Showcase. And I know what I'm about to say is incredibly cheesy, but until I met you, I never fully understood what it meant to be alive. You make me alive, Kurt. You've made me experience emotions I didn't even know existed. Thank you for being in my life, Kurt, because now that you're in it it truly is a life."

I hear some "aww"s from the crowd, and look to see that everyone is crying. Yes, even Santana. I guess miracles do happen.

Rachel, wiping away a few tears herself, continues officiating. "Do you, Kurt Elizabeth Hummel, take Blaine Devon Anderson to be your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer, as long as you both shall live?"

"I do," I say.

"And do you, Blaine Devon Anderson, take Kurt Elizabeth Hummel to be your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer, as long as you both shall live?"

"Is that even a question? Of course I do."

"Yes, of course. Well then, by the power vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and husband. You may kiss."

We don't have to be told twice.

---

When Blaine and I planned our wedding, we had planned two receptions: a formal one with our friends and family, and then a less formal one at our apartment with just us, Rachel, Brody, Santana, Brittany, and Tina. Right now, we're having the second reception.

"I can't believe Blaine and I are actually married now," I say. "This doesn't feel real."

"Yeah, I get that," Blaine agrees. "If I were to go back in time seven years ago and tell my past self that I end up married to Kurt Hummel, I probably wouldn't believe it."

"Life is full of surprises," says Rachel. "I mean, before I started seeing Brody, I never thought I'd get over Finn, and now I can finally say his name without crying."

"When Dani dumped me, I never thought I'd be okay again," Santana chimes in. "But now that I have Brittany, I'm more than okay."

Brittany interjects, "And, before I moved to New York, I never thought I'd call off my engagement with Sam, and then a week later find out that I'm pregnant and get a girlfriend on the same day."

I decide this is a good time to cut in."You know what I never thought, Brittany?" I ask rhetorically, then go on to say, "I never thought that I'd be forced to use public transportation because my roommate's girlfriend gave birth in my car."

"You're still hung up on that?"

"Why wouldn't I be? I literally can't drive anywhere because my car smells like it was birthed in!"

"Drop it, Hummel," says Santana. "It's been two months."

"Okay, fine, I'll drop it," I say. "At least, for now."

"If we're still saying what we never thought, I guess it's my turn," says Brody. "When I first started acting in Broadway shows, I never thought that in one of them I would meet the most beautiful girl in the world, let alone start dating her."

"Aww," says Tina. "Hanging out with the six of you is making me feel more single by the minute. It's like I'm the seventh wheel."

"I'm sure you'll find someone someday, Tina," says Blaine. "Also, it's your turn."

"Okay," she says. "I guess back in elementary school, when I didn't really have any friends, I never thought that I'd have a best friend. Or, for that matter, a friend group. The seven of us are less like friends, though, and more like a family."

"That's exactly what we are," says Rachel. "A found family."