Chapter 8 | Take it slow, my ass

I had been standing in front of my locker for five minutes for absolutely no reason

I had been standing in front of my locker for five minutes for absolutely no reason. I just wanted to waste time before being forced to face my own decisions.

The mirror I had hung inside gave me the opportunity to analyze my appearance. My eyelash extensions gave me, as usual, a piercing and bewitching look, and I was wearing a red colored gloss along with foundation, blush and bronzer. My straightened light brown hair flowed down my back with discipline. I thought I looked good. Pretty.

I suddenly wondered what Elijah would think of my looks on our first day as a fake couple, and it was one of the most awful thoughts my brain had ever formulated in its entire life.

"Are you going to admire yourself for much longer or are you going to finance class?"

I looked back at Saejin, whose locker was right next to mine. She gave me a kiss on the cheek as a greeting.

"I'm going to finance class, even if it's less interesting."

"I agree. You look very pretty today, don't worry."

"Thank you, bestie."

I hadn't said anything about Elijah yet, and my unspoken words were already weighing on me. I didn't usually hide anything from Saejin. It's just that the scenario I had invented in my head to explain my reconciliation with him sounded like the most far-fetched thing ever. I still needed to polish it up before the lunch break.

"How's it going with Kilian?" I said suddenly, remembering that I wasn't the only one thinking about a particular boy.

He had taken her number at the party when I wasn't there and they had danced a little together. Since then, they had been chatting by text message. Hearing his name, Saejin's delicate face contorted in horror.

"He just gave me a new reason to hate men."

I laughed. "Saejin, he's a soccer player. What did you expect?"

"Some expertise in dating, for God's sake! He's got the conversational skills of a seventh grader. We'd only been talking for a few hours when he offered to pick me up. It was MIDNIGHT. Say right now that you want to screw me without even getting to know me, instead of wasting my time."

I thought back to Kilian's huge house and curled my lip. "They're too used to getting what they want without trying."

Me and Saejin were in the minority of people who got scholarships for our exemplary high school performance and voluntary work. ULNA was one of the best universities in the United States and studying here was prohibitively expensive without aid. But the majority of students here were probably born with a silver spoon in their mouths, their parents paying all the tuition for them. I didn't blame them; I would have loved to have been so lucky.

The problem was that many of these same students acted as if they owned the entire campus and had to establish their empire there. They had been raised with the prism that everything was theirs, which made them snobby, pretentious, and dismissive. It didn't surprise me that they acted the same with human relationships.