Chapter 16 | Terrible confusion, terrible feelings

**This chapter is very long, take your time reading it! In the middle I'm introducing new characters that will have an impact on the story, I hope you will not get bored <3**

Elijah was driving me home.

Every time he braked hard, he had the reflex to reach for my belly in case the shock was too brutal. And it gave me unwanted butterflies.

My second belt.

He didn't do it often, because I'd never seen anyone drive so well, but the noisy, crowded roads of Nuevos Angeles had their fair share of road hogs. Twice I had to hold my breath, his large hand almost pressed against my stomach. Twice, he whispered to me, "You alright, sweetheart?".

I had nodded, but in reality, if I were to answer that question in terms of my general condition, he knew just as well as I did that I was not alright at all. By the end of the date, I had shown signs of coldness, too. I had let the winter settle in my eyes. Just like he did.

I didn't know if I was mad at him, or at myself. Both.

As the car approached my street, Elijah turned off the music and started looking for a place to park. He held the steering wheel only with his right hand, his other arm resting in the hollow between the window and the door. From time to time, he ran his hand through his hair, as if he were troubled, nervous, confused. I didn't really what it was.

He had cut the date short under the pretext of something urgent, without going into details, and in the car, as we were backstage, I had to put on some music to ease the discomfort.

Now, the silence stood between us, leaden, heavy, thick, I felt it like a wall.

I wanted to say something, but I didn't know what, and I was afraid to disturb his thoughts.

I glanced at him and his clenched jaw, a straight, incisive line, his unblemished, hairless cheek, his literally perfect profile, this vision made me want to run out of the Mercedes and never get in again. When he saw a spot, he started to parallel-park, grabbing the back of my head restraint, his muscular arm stretching out to its full length.

His scent immediately wafted into my nostrils and I had to look away, otherwise our eyes would have met as he looked to the back of the vehicle.

I felt his eyes on me for a moment. I swallowed, my eyes fixed on an insignificant corner of the car.

My nervousness made no sense. It was only Elijah.

I was so nervous in his presence.

I had to wait until we exchanged a last word before I ran away. I took the fold of my dress between my fingers and squeezed it hard.

In one fluid motion, with his one remaining hand on the wheel, he placed the car perfectly between the other two vehicles. He did it only with the palm of his hand, pressed on the center of steering wheel. There was something so seductive, so attractive, in the ease of his every move, I hated it.