Chapter 24 | Clear tabs, failing heaters and us getting closer in the dark

HEY! How you guys doing? I'm feeling great!

IT'S AUGUST BITCHIES, GO STREAM TAYLOR SWIFT!!!!

This chapter and the following ones => relationship's development, as I've already told you! I know that we, as a whole, seek hatred and venom and angst, but I realized my characters can't just stay hateful to each other until the end so... *sad face*

Have a good read!! Hope you enjoy this chapter<3

I was supposed to be anxious.

I hadn't finished learning my lines for the presentation with Elijah when we had philosophy class in about ten minutes. Yet I smiled, my chest heaving and sagging with ease, too entertained by Saejin trying to deny her attraction for Alejandro. She was in such a denial state.

Makes me think of someone huh...

"Fuck you for your attempts at being a matchmaker between me and him," she told me.

I raised my eyebrows suggestively. "I know you like him."

"But if I start dating him, how am I going to find the time to always be with you, you tell me?" she said in a playful tone. But I knew there was an undertone of seriousness in her words, and it bothered me.

Ever since I'd told her about the altercation with Trevor and Paul, not omitting the latter's sexual assault as I had before, Saejin had been afraid to leave me alone.

I liked to pretend that I had already forgotten that episode, I liked to reassure myself it was no big deal, but my subconscious was mired in that memory. I was not sleeping well, haunted by gruesome images of Paul repeating his assault.

I was grateful that she wanted to support me so much. But still!

"You're allowed to have a boyfriend," I reminded her, glaring at her. "And don't worry. Harden... Harden is here for me."

The fact that I believed what I just said was unsettling. I knew he would always defend me, and remembering what he did for me three years ago had comforted me in this thought.

Saejin bit her lip, wandering through her thoughts.

"Alejandro invited me on a date to the amusement park on Halloween night," she finally confessed.

"Yes! Accept!" I grinned broadly. "I'll be there with Harden, too. You won't have to worry."

Her face relaxed and she smiled back, nodding. I squeezed her hand tightly in mine.

"This is going to be a great time, I'm sure."

"Alejandro told me that he thought long and hard before proposing this. His theory is that if we were surrounded by bloated monsters for an entire evening, I'd necessarily find him more attractive than usual, and I'd take him up on his offer of a restaurant date."