Keggars and Hospitality

"So, hows it going?"

You listen to Jamie's voice as you step out for your lunch break; "pretty good, I mean, I can't complain. Cal seems cool, and he's really good at his job so I'm hopeful."

"And what about your little friend?"

It takes you a second to realize what he's talking about, "oh, JJ? I mean, he's been fine right now."

Jamie doesn't say anything, but you can tell he's laughing on the other side of the line. "Oh shush you," you hiss; "I'm hanging up now."

"Wait, wait! Sorry, I'm sure it's all very professional. I was going to ask what happened this morning," he tells you.

"Oh! I signed," you tell him, trying not to sound to excited; "but like I said before, I'll talk to the landlord about breaking the lease next month."

"That's a good idea, just be safe kiddo, okay?" He goes silent for a moment, but you figure whatever he was going to say next he had decided against as he just asks if you need help moving in.

"Maybe, yea. I'll probably just bring my clothes and mattress over for now, move the rest in when I know I'm going to stay for sure."

"Consider it done," he tells you; "I want to check out this place anyways, I'll come by to pick up the keys right now."

"Damn, who's got you in a helpful mood?"

He chuckles; "like I said, I wanted to go by there anyways—bringing a mattress and some clothes over won't be a problem. Plus, you don't even have a car and I don't work till later tonight."

"Fair enough."

He comes by a few minutes later. "Thanks again," you say to Jamie as you hand over the keys. "You really don't have to do this."

"It's my pleasure," Jamie assures you. "What was he like, anyways? Rafe."

You shrug; "clearly a little on edge, and really professional. I'm not sure how many people he talks to outside his work."

Weirdly attractive, you want to add, but figure it's bad enough that Jamie's already on you about JJ.

"Who would want to be friends with him," Jamie points out, "I heard the dads got him so drugged up he's like a living zombie now. Too worried the guy will loose his shit again and make a scene."

"Well, on that happy note..."

"Yea, well. I just want you to be careful, okay? I'll see you later."

"Okay."

You watch as he drives away, only partially paying attention to your surroundings as you make your way to the picnic bench to have your lunch. It takes about 10 seconds before you hear JJ's voice. "Hey Suzy Q," JJ muses, shifting to sit next to you; "hows the first day going?"

You shrug, avoiding his gaze so you can come up with a half decent response; "can't complain, I mean, it's what we've been working towards." You wished now that Cal's other two employees took their break at the same time.

"Was that your boyfriend?"

His question is so abrupt it actually takes you by surprise. You study him for a moment, and you can just tell he's waiting for your answer, waiting to say something funny about how you managed to get a guy or some bullshit. "Erm, he's my cousin. Last I've checked we aren't in Alabama."

He stares at you for a moment, the words clicking in his head as if something wasn't adding up before. "Seriously?"

"Yea." You try not to sound too amused by his misjudgement, but you let out a short laugh at the grimace he makes when trying to come up with a good response.