14: Avoid The Wedding

MARINA

MARINA

I stroke the red paint on its right side. I brush it elegantly, just like Nadia would instruct. She told me not to stroke my brush on different ways, that I must stick with one direction.

It's my first day of being suspended because of what I did to Blue, and I know nothing to do in order to kill time. I hate movies, nor books. So I really have no plans on what to do within my one week suspension.

Yeah, it was just a week of punishment for that almost-a-murder act that I committed to someone.

Nakaapekto rin kasi sa tindi ng parusa ko ang pag-uurong ng reklamo ng mga magulang ni Blue. I still can't figure out why they seemed so merciful to me, like as if I am their own daughter.

I place the tip of the brush in the water and start rinsing it. Unti-unti'y nagkalat ang pulang tinta sa tubig na nasa pabilog na lalagyan, at ilang sandali pa'y tuluyan nang nasakop ng kulay dugong pintura ang lalagyan.

I stare at my art. The brightness of the sun is reflecting on its surface, revealing how beautifully it was stroked. I drew lips with fangs that are bloody, and I don't know why I came up with that idea, but I just did.

I had the urge to draw, so I did, since I have no errands to do. I am playing a solemn music to keep me undistracted. Music makes me calm, and silence creeps me. It's the Serenade of Schubert that has been continuously playing ever since this morning.

I shut my eyes and scoot near the painting. I smell its chemical, and it goes through my nostrils, but it's relaxing, more like of a drug that's addicting. I scoop some of the red paint on the container and raise my fingers that have it.

I smell it with my eyes still closed. I'm starting to feel dizzy by its poisonous smell, but I can't help it. This scent brings back the memories I shared with Nadia.

When I still had Nadia, this is what I would usually smell in the morning, not the scent of old books and the canteen's breakfast dish.

I sway my head with the music and so I do to my hand with the paint. I scoop another on my left hand and I stand up, feeling the dripping wet paint down on my feet and some falls on my floor.

I'll clean that later. I want to dance right now.

I sway my body with the music. Like I am just a piece of paper that goes within the thick breeze of the wind. I let my body fly. I let nothingness carry me.

And at the end of the song, I open my eyes and splatter the paints through the canvas. Tumalsik ang maliliit na mga mantsa ng pintura sa harapan nito. Some are on the teeth, and most are located on the lips.