23: The Appearance of Hope

MARINA

MARINA

The bandage around his right wrist is surrounded by red patches of blood. Nagkalat din ang dugo sa kaniyang puting damit kanina kaya kinailangang tanggalin ito nang magsimulang tahiin ng doktor ang sugat na tinamo niya.

This is the second time that Aki had hurt himself just because of me. But at this point, he didn't sacrifice, he was shot, intentionally.

“What?” tatawa-tawang tanong niya. “I'm fine, Tres.”

“You're clearly not,” I answer, trying my best to fix my composure.

“Don't worry about me. Everything's good now.” he pointed his wrist. “See? It's settled. It's not that deep—”

“Deep or not, you were still shot, Aki. You were shot. Do you realize how dangerous it was?” I tried to find his eyes, but he just shifts them away from me. So I decided to speak again. “It ends here.”

He almost stood up from where he is lying, but his body still can't. “What is stopping here?”

“The investigation.”

“What? Why?”

“Don't fucking ask me why. Just look at yourself!” biglaang sigaw ko. I don't know why I acted like that, I just know that I am worried about him, and he's here being a total stubborn.

“But—”

“Stop with the buts. This is the end of Nadia's case.”

He looks at me expectantly. “Marina, we were halfway through finding out.”

“And you were almost dead, Rue.” this is one of the rarest times I've called him to his second name, that's why he was taken aback. “So—”

“But it wasn't your fault. It was my choice to help.”

“Yes, it is. You won't have the reason to help if I didn't start this bullshit in the first place.” I stare back at his red eyes, and I couldn't help but feel the guiltiness that's arising in me. “We both know that the secretary didn't intend to kill you. She was giving us a warning. And we also both know that I was in front of you, which means for some reasons, she couldn't harm me, so she harmed you.” the last word I spitted came out bitterly.

“But—”

I hold his hand, and when he tried to open his mouth again, I grip them tighter. “I'm not letting them kill you. Now, get some rest, and we'll live a peaceful life after.” I embrace his body, because I feel like if I don't, I will lose him. “Let Nadia's murderer wander. I can't risk you,” I whisper.