Chapter 4 | Buried Past

Yibo and Zhan had just headed back to their house. Halfway through, Zhan slowed down and stopped next to a tree. A voice echoed in his head: "Via nostra communis est, sed non fatum nostrum." // "Our way is common, but not our fate."

Zhan raised one hand to his head, while leaning against the tree with the other. Yibo stopped beside him and watched him anxiously.

"Are you okay?"

"Of course ..." - Zhan sighed, his voice fading and his headache eased. - "I'm just a little tired. I didn't sleep too much."

"Then we'll go to your father later. Now let's go home instead.

"No! ..." he protested, lowering his hand.

"But you should rest now, Zhan."

"Hey, I'm tired, but not weak, okay? Let's go." Zhan moved on, and Yibo followed him.

------------

The road to Mr. Xiao's house was not pleasant for Yibo and Zhan. Not because of the wrong way, but because of the tension between the two of them. They were both silent.

Yibo drove while Zhan sat next to him, staring out the window

Yibo drove while Zhan sat next to him, staring out the window. Zhan never looked at Yibo.

Yibo wanted to talk to him, but Zhan didn't. Because of this, Yibo became more and more tense.

----------

Cold air circulated deep in the forest. Without sunlight, it made the wooden house even gloomier, older, and scarier.

Mr. Xiao stood in front of the house, listening to the sounds of thunder, staring at the silent lightning bolts in the clouds. While he stood there in silence, Kuan walked over to him. Mr. Xiao looked at him.

"You haven't found him since, have you?" he asked. Kuan shook his head.

"No. I only felt the fading smell of an unknown beta werewolf in two places."

"Where?"

"Both places were near them. But I found this." Kuan showed him a torn little piece of clothing. Mr. Xiao grabbed it for a moment, then released the rag.

"Then you can forget him." - he said coldly. - "The werewolf won't show up anywhere anymore." - Kuan thought, then looked at him again after a long silence. - "But he still had a more gracious death than what I planned to do with him after I managed to catch him. "

"What makes you think he's dead?" Kuan asked.

"One word: Hellhounds."

"But this piece of clothing isn't the only thing I noticed. When I was in the field, I not only smelled the werewolf there, but I also saw a little blood in a tiny area ... I think it's the first sign of another upcoming storm."

Mr. Xiao clenched his chin, closed his eyes. He tried to stay calm, though he would have preferred to shout in anger because his suspicions had now been proven. But in addition to his anger, there was now anxiety. The darkness began to revolve around his son again.