Chapter 11 | On a dangerous road

Yibo woke up, but this time it was not the cold that woke him. The tiny house he was in was only one room. Nothing covered the stone walls. There were no windows, only candles and a fire in the stove provided light in the house. But outside the bed on which he lay, there was a huge shelf cabinet and a wooden table. There were only old books and bottles on the shelves of the closet, most of them full of liquids. But the most suspicious bottles for Yibo were bottles full of red and black liquids. Even on the thick wooden table were tiny bottles and old books. One of the books remained open, so the yellow, crumpled pages were more visible.

But as Yibo looked around, he suddenly heard two people talking from outside. He recognized that one of the voices belonged to Lan Xiang.

Yibo got up and walked toward the door. But when he reached the table, he stopped. Yibo noticed that his ring was on the table. He grabbed it after checking to see if there were any scratches or breaks on it, and he pulled it back on his finger. Soon after, the door opened and Lan Xiang and an elderly man entered the house.

"Then I thought well that by now you could have woken up." she remarked

"Lan Xiang, what's going on? Where am I? And why did you take off my ring?" asked Yibo.

"Oh, we didn't take your ring off." replied the man.

"I found your ring right next to you. Maybe you lost it when you used your power." said Lan Xiang. 

As the fox went to the shelf and searched for a small bottle, Yibo stood at the table, waiting for her

As the fox went to the shelf and searched for a small bottle, Yibo stood at the table, waiting for her. But after a short time his attention was fixed on the old man. The demon looked at him without blinking with his dark red, tired eyes.

"What is it? Why are you looking at me like that?" asked Yibo, a little nervous.

"So ... you are the companion of the new king and demon hybrid.. ..." - he remarked. - "I never thought our king would choose an angel-blooded one. I expected him to fall in love with a human like his father did, or a stubborn creature like Lan Xiang ... but an angel? I wouldn't have even thought of that, ever. You can be very special, if you managed to achieve this ... that you survived his demonic side. .. Tell me, ..." - he stepped closer to Yibo - ".. was it him?"

"Huh??..."

"I heard that the portal has recently reopened. Did he open the portal as a demon then?"

"Okay, I think that's enough." - said Lan Xiang suddenly, then walked back to Yibo. - "Time to go."

"Wait, where's you in a hurry, little kitsune girl?" - he asked, a little annoyed. - "I want you two to stay a little longer, ... and you, little angel," - he turned to Yibo - "I want you to tell me a little more about the new king. I wonder what he, as the only living hybrid, would be like?" the demon insisted stubbornly, but the fox's patience was running out.

Lan Xiang pushed the old demon aside a little roughly, because the demon stood in front of Yibo, and then grabbed the angel's hand.

"Sorry, old man, but he doesn't have time for this." replied Lan Xiang, instead of Yibo.