8th chapter: the journal

unedited! sorry! 

giselle waited patiently in the living room of her gramma adaline's house, staring out the window hoping to see a certain familiar face pop out soon. she usually came over to visit her grandmother and it's been a common occurrence ever since the summer started. she had a bit more free time with school out of the way, despite having work and all.

holding on the couch tightly, she moved up, stretching her neck to see if rodrick's face would appear by the front lawn anytime soon.

"you're gonna hurt yourself, giselle," her grandmother chuckled, taking notice of the young girl's eagerness to see rodrick heffley.

gigi composed herself, feeling a little red after realizing how obvious she was being. "oh sorry gramma," she apologized, sitting back down on the couch. she patted down her dress to remove any sight of wrinkles and smiled at her grandmother to ease the awkward tension.

gramma adaline suggested they should have dinner and that she should invite rodrick along. giselle was a little nervous about the idea, considering her mother didn't even know of their relationship but gramma adaline was different. she was so easy to talk to and she made giselle feel safe.

"so i finally get to meet the famous rodrick," she grinned, taking a sip of tea from her mug.

giselle nodded enthusiastically. "yep! he's great gramma, you'd really like him."

"oh i'm sure," she smiled. "if my sweet gigi likes them then he must be really special."

it felt nice, giselle thought to herself. she'd never felt more open and free to be herself in front of any other relative. gramma adaline was the absolute best.

a soft knock coming from the front door pervaded the atmosphere, signalling that the awaited guest had finally arrived. giselle stood up almost instantly, rushing towards the door and opening it up in a jolt.

rodrick stood outside a sheepish grin on his face and a bouquet of flowers in his hands. giselle looked at him in surprise, ushering him to enter the house.

"what's all this?" she whispered, gesturing towards the flowers.

he leaned closer, whispering back. "it's for your grandmother. i thought she'd like it. usually, old people like flowers." he explained.

giselle chuckled, finding his gesture sweet. "that's nice, heffley."

gramma adaline stood up from the armchair and walked towards the couple awkwardly standing next to each other. she took a good look at them, finding herself smile at the obvious timidness emitting off the two teenagers. "well, well, nice to finally meet you rodrick."

rodrick nodded his head politely, handing her the flowers. "you too.." he paused, wondering what the appropriate name to call her would be. jesus christ, he thought, this is when he decides to freeze.

"please call me adaline,"

"you too, adaline," he said, feeling his cheeks turn red. "i brought you some flowers."

"wow!" gramma adaline exclaimed, taking them from him. "aren't you sweet?" she said. "i'll put these in the kitchen and i'll meet you back here."