Chapter 6: Earl Grey

AUTHOR'S NOTE: So a bit of a shorter chapter and I apologize for that, but I think that you'll enjoy the meaning behind it. Also, I promise things in this story will begin to pick up soon.

Oh, and please check out my newest story it's called Hero's Journey and is an original work of mine. So I'm putting a lot into it. And actually it took me awhile to finally decide on posting it. Anyway, once again please check that out.
Thanks that's all!

~Ashlee💕

〰〰〰
"I'm back!" I call, lugging in the baskets of groceries I'd received from the market.

Simon's happy face appears in front of me, "Did you get everything on my list?"

"Yes, and the blacksmith finished sharpening your butchery knives as well." I say.

"Nice," he grins, "I'll pick them up tomorrow."

Simon grabs a couple of baskets and helps me put the necessities in them where they belong.

"Is that all?" I ask Simon , already knowing his answer.

"Actually no."

His answer surprises me and so I listen carefully.

"I loathe to ask so much from you but please can you prepare dinner tonight and serve it up to me in my study? I have much paperwork I need to sign." he explains, frowning slightly.

"Oh no problem at all," I say. "Actually I'm happy to. I haven't cooked in awhile."

"Great! Thank you much dear. I'll be in my study," Simon turns on his heel and climbs the stair to his study upstairs.

I can't help but grin. I haven't cooked since, well since I worked for Ciel. Usually Simon cooks all the meals which really is no issue, he is an ace cook but I do miss it.

I head over to the kitchen and search through the food and spice stocks. We really do have just about anything. The cabinets and cellar are always packed with fresh goods even if they're out of season. Simon is wealthy enough to import goods,

I place my pointer finger on my chin, hmm now what to cook.

An idea shapes in my head and I begin to pull out all the ingredients needed until the countertop is filled with what I need.

"Watcha cooking?"

I flinch at the hot breath at my neck.

"Pasta." I answer, turning to see Catrine smiling her signature sultry grin, though I don't see what she has to be sultry about.

Mischief, I realize. Not seductive but mischievous. I eye her warily.

"Mmm pasta," she licks her lips then giggles, "Do you need any help?"

"No thank you," I smile politely, "I've got it covered."

"Hmm you know what this reminds me of?" She asks, childishly rocking on her heels with her hands clasped behind her back.

"What?" I ask, watching her carefully.

"Irony." She beams a Cheshire grin worthy of the Undertaker himself.

And similar to him she dramatically slinks back down the hall humming lowly.

Irony? I ponder but then I shrug my shoulders, continuing to work.

As I roll the noodles from dough I heat the water. Once bubbling I put in the finished noodles, mixing occasionally.

As that cooks I make the sauce and roll the meatballs. I put the meatballs in the sauce and have that cook as I prepare a pie crust, then putting it in the oven.

The noodles soon finish and I set them off to cool as I add in filling to the now cooked crust. I put the pie back in the oven and then check on the sauce and meatballs. Seeing they're done I also set them aside to cool.

Now having nothing to do I decide to heat up a nice hot mix of Earl grey tea.

As the tea simmers I take out the pie and leave it to cool at the window.

Once everything is finished cooling and the tea finished cooking I set everything up nicely on a plate. Then I set it on a cart and wheel it up to Simon's study.

"Supper's finished," I say as I enter the study.

Simon looks up from his mound of papers, almost reminding me of Ciel at his own study. I shake it off and set everything out in front of him.

"Why that looks made up so pretty I almost can't bare to eat it," Simon compliments, but then his stomach growls like an angry bear, "I said almost."

I chuckle and shake my head, "I hope you enjoy it. Good luck with your paperwork."

"Trust me I will," Simon says fork already in hand.

I leave him to eat in peace and head back downstairs. Once back in the kitchen I begin to clean up my mess. It's funny, making pasta never seemed this tedious before.

Realization is like a cold splash of nasty bog water as I suddenly understand Catrine's words about how it's ironic I'm making pasta for the first meal I make for my new master. It's because the very first meal I made my old master was pasta as well.

And the reason it feels more tedious is that I don't have Meyrin, Bard, Finny, and Tanaka to help me make it.

"It's probably just a coincidence," I mutter, brushing it off.

But then Simon's voice calls down from his study, "Oh, apologies Ebony but I thought you knew I didn't care for tea, even more so Earl grey. Do you mind fixing me a sarsaparilla?"

The thing is, I did know that Simon hates Earl grey.