• 44 ~ All Of The Dead •

Credit: https://twitter.com/dFuma_pQr/status/1546794335428964353?s=20

• • • ᯽᯽᯽ • • •

[Y/n POV]

The next morning was greeted by the calmer winds of Liyue. The passing of the stormy Inazuman skies was the signal that Y/n could breathe easy.

Maybe it was the memories attached to that nation... of the cold suffocation... of loss...

Whatever it was, Y/n had a sense of relief parting with it. They still wished they could one day make contact with the few hospitable people they'd met there - namely Yoimiya.

Right now, though, they knew they'd soon be prodded by the big-hatted harbinger for the what was to be the most important decision they'd make... this week? Or possibly this month.

Today was the day Y/n chose to either mark their own path, or choose the Fatui. Despite the importance that this moment was supposed to have, they did not feel the same about it.

Is it really that big of a deal?

"Y/n." Scaramouche called them on cue. The ports of Liyue Harbor were visible in the distance, so they could understand the sense of urgency in his voice.

They knowingly beamed at him. "Yes, Scaramouche~!"

"We are about to reach Liyue soon. I'm sure you've made your decision by now."

"Yes."

Scaramouche frowned. "Very well?"

"I choose neither."

An eyebrow was raised. "What?"

"Mhm." Y/n turned to properly face him. "I won't choose a fate where I'm possibly alone for the rest of my life. I might meet people on the way but... I'm probably going to leave them just as easily as I have before.

"I will not surrender myself to the Fatui either. I cannot be someone who mindlessly follows any task they're given. There will always be conflict in my head and I don't want to silence it."

Scaramouche was about to counter Y/n's words before they continued.

"That is why... I choose to walk with you." They finally said. "I want to think of it as fate and decided that I want to follow where you go."

There was a short silence, before they heard a laugh from him. "You want to follow me? But I'm a Fatui harbinger. Didn't you want nothing to do them?"

"That..." Y/n fidgetted with their fingers. "I'm willing to compromise."

"Compromise?" Scaramouche raised an eyebrow. "Oh, Y/n, this will be more than a compromise.

"Your safety will always remain threatened in the Fatui, and you'll be bound to the fate of a sacrifice."

"That's what I mean by compromise." Y/n sighed. "I know it can easily be regarded as a stupid decision, but I've thought about it. I'll be happiest if I can be with you."

"That... makes no sense." He looked away incredulously. "You used to have such a strong will to survive, to the point where you even gained a vision, and now you're throwing your life away? I don't think that's worth staying beside someone you don't even like."

"Who said I'm throwing my life away? I'm just telling you what I want to do with it." Y/n frowned. "Whether I like you or not is questionable..."

"Butttttt since you're so concerned about me," They smiled. "You can just protect me, can't you? That would also make me like you more!"