Book 2: Part 18

Aleksander watching you talking to the prince. You even smile at him and he have to ignore the talking of the woman opposite. He tried to be calm, even everything resists. He would like to stand up, take your hand to pull you to him and kiss you in front of everyone. In front of the king, even if it costs him his position. No, it wouldn't, he is to important and you....He rais his look from his glass to you. You are important to him. Every now and then he catch your eyes. Just for a second you send a signla to each other. She was sad and he caused it. it was always Aleksander who breaks the eye contact, to fake smile at the others.

"So for me Miss L/N. I am so pleased you are here." The voice of the woman next to you, on the opposite of Aleksander come to your ear.

It was the woman he was talking to on the winter fete. You don't even know who she was or why she is here but she seems to belong to the royal family in anyways. You look to her. "Another woman who understands as I do the rocky road of love. I heard about your tragic story"

The general looks from you to the woman. He does not know what she alludes to but he cannot be the one. His look speaks volumes and he would like to tell her that she should end this charade.

You draw your eyebrows together. "What?" You look from her to the king and then queen, who is speaking: "We hear about it. She has....been unlucky in love. Shall we say?"

Again, the woman next to respond on the queen: "We must definitely should say. At your age....With no husband. No children. Poor Alena." She acts like she is getting sad.

"The clock is ticking. Tick Tock. Tick tock." You stare at her, then at you plate. Are they trying to pair off Aleksander with this woman and yourself with the prince? So they think you would change your mind? Worst: They know about your past. You feel presented and exposed.

"Excuse me." You say.

Aleksander watches you standing up. He politely stands up too and watching you leave. He was wondering what the woman were talking about. Alena? Unlucky and tragic?

"General, sit down." His eyes wander to the king, he follows his order but he knows if he doesn't speak to the king tonight, he might have no chance left.