Chapter 31

Three hours later they were close to arriving at his Westwood condo. He had explained the details of how he set up the meeting. She was not too pleased to hear that he had started calling the woman weeks ago, laying the foundation to his plan. The battle strategy.

That was where they differed greatly. Lisa was an all-out, open fighter when she had a grievance. No, he didn't work that way. Despite the advice of his counselors to forgive and release the anger, his mind started to write a script that was slightly different.

The time to let go would come. But first he wanted to have his say. And he knew Lisa needed to have her grand stand. She deserved that and so much more. So, while therapy had helped to dial down the anger consuming him, the simmering cauldron stayed stirred and heated. Julia was not just going to get away. The old method of icing people out would come in handy later- right now he wanted to draw some blood. He wasn't proud of those dark, not very kind thoughts and feelings. But he had learned to finally be honest with himself when hatred gnawed at him. Denial and escapism had proven destructive and deceptive - they did not solve anything. They just masked the sore while the deadly bacteria of hate continued to devour the flesh of his soul.

Julia had certainly been surprised when he first contacted her. She had been apologetic as well. Cautious initially, then relieved when he told her he was working on getting over the pain she had caused him. Well, he had not entirely used those words, and she somehow might have gotten the impression that he was a sweet and docile idiot, ready to be friends again. But hey- not his fault she was so damn gullible. She was an attorney- she should know better.

So yeah, Lisa had frowned when he filled her in on everything. And he finally convinced her that his plan was the way to go. If Julia thought she was meeting him for a friendly dinner, she would have her guard down.

"So what? You gonna stash me in the closet?"

He started to hum his song.

Lisa sighed, "Michael- can you stay serious and on topic?"

"Ok, fine. No not the closet. I was thinking more of the bedroom."

"Why do we have to play games like this, Mike?"

"Because she will be more surprised. You know- she feels everything is honky dory- then BAM!"

"Bam?"

"Yep."

Lisa rolled her eyes. Why did she have to be such a fuddy-duddy about this?

"What you don't think she would have come if you had told her I'd be there?"

That was better. The twinkle in her eye let him in on the fact that she was starting to come around. And enjoy this just a little bit.

"I'm doing this for you."

"Well, if you're only doing it for me, maybe we should turn around..."