chapter 3

My eyes painfully adjusted to the bright light beaming down on me when I awoke. I had to blink several times before my vision was clear again, I realized the light really wasn't that bright. I'd just had my eyes closed for a long time. I took in the surroundings, the unfamiliarity of the room had me tense.

I sat up on the bed I was on and looked down at myself. I no longer had on my clothes. I was in a green and white tracksuit. I noticed there was a number on the corner of the chest. The number
306, as I traced it with my fingers. I inhaled deeply before slowly moving myself to the foot of the bed.

I took in my surroundings and multiple metal cage beds stacked high like bunk beds. I need to get out of here. I did not realize that I wasn't on the last bed until I landed on the floor with a thud. Thankfully, I was not that high up, that I was able to break something.

"Oh, look a fallen angel." An old man chuckled while sitting on his bed. I had fallen right in front of his bed. I groan as I try to get myself off the floor. I knew that a bruise would form on the right side of my body soon enough. He offered me a hand to help myself and I took it. What's the worst this old man could do to me? I was also able to notice that the number stitch to his jacked was 001. What do these numbers mean?

"Where was I again? Oh right, ..fifty-two." I continue to stare at the older man. "Fifty-five...

"Excuse me sir, but what are you doing?"

"Stop talking to me or I lose count. Ah, so I was on fifty, so the...huh? hold on, where was I just then?"

I start to look around and notice a digital board with the number of players in the game.

"Hey! Look up on the board, sir. There are 456 players here." See as I point to his chest "You were given the number one. I'm number 306."

The old man gives me a chuckle and says "I know all that too. I'm just counting the numbers. My doctor said counting is good so I don't get dementia or anything."

A man who must have been listening to our conversation comes over and states "If dementia's a concern for you, then what are you doing here? I think you want to stay at home and let your daughter-in-law cook your meals for you. Go sit on a coffee chair somewhere. And look at your grandkids, I think."

"What about your parents? Do they get nice food cooked by their daughter-in-law all day long?"

This causes the man to look down, probably sad that he could not answer yes to the old man's question. I look towards his chest and read the number on his jacket. He was number 456, the last player.

The old man sighs "I don't have much time left now. The doctors said there's a...lump inside of my head, growing every day.

This caused me and player 456 to look at each other puzzled. "Your..your head?" I asked, pointing to the back of my head.

"Brain tumor." the old man chuckles

"You little shit!" A loud male voice startled me. I quickly turned my head to see a girl on the floor and blood leaking from her mouth. A man with a snake on the side of his neck was standing over. The girl slowly got up, I could tell that the hit really knocked her down.

"Wow! It really is a small world, huh! Look at those eyes. You still have that temper, huh. Then again... Nobody broke your spirit, you could always take a hit." With each sentence, he steps closer towards her

"I fed you, I taught you when you had nowhere else. This is what I get." He states lowly

"You took more from me than whatever I might possibly owe."