chapter 8

Classical music played through the speakers causing me to jolt awake. We all slept sitting up, afraid that the others would attack again. I looked over to see that the old man was already awake, his face looked tired as if he never went to sleep. Wait, did he even go to sleep?

"Hey, old man," I called out to him

"Huh?"

"Did you stay up all night?" I asked, I was concerned about how he would be able to function without sleep.

However, player 001 simply chuckles, "I thought they would attack again or something."

"Old man, you didn't have to do that. You must be so exhausted already." I say I'm feeling bad for him.

"It's all right. You don't really need that much sleep when you're old. And I didn't help when they went after everyone but keeping a night watch, well, I can do that."

I give him an appreciative smile, which he returns.

Attention, players. The third game will begin momentarily. Please follow the staff's instructions and swiftly make your way towards the game hall. Let me repeat the instructions. The third game will begin momentarily.

We all walked into a plain white room, there were stairs, but other than that the room was bare. I had no clue what game we would be playing.

Players welcome to the third game. For this game, you will play in teams. All players, please divide yourselves into teams of ten people. Your time limit will be ten minutes. Ten minutes. Let me repeat the instructions. For this game, you will play in teams. All players, please divide yourselves into teams of ten people. Your time limit will be ten minutes. Ten minutes.

Gi-hun turns to Sang-woo and me, "Something that has teams of ten players. So maybe it's Tail Tag or Why Did You Come to My House? Tail Tag means running is involved. Or it might just end up being simply based on luck. What do you guys think?"

Sang-woo sighs "Our team already has two girls and an older guy. I'm thinking we better get more men first."

"You don't know the game yet, you can't just suggest picking all men" I protest. It was sexist and unreasonable. Since there are five guys, there should be five girls on the team to even it out.

"She's right, what if they make us play Gonggi or Elastics? Then, what do we do? Girls are usually the good ones at that..." Gi-hun tries to stick up for me.

"That's true, but when it really comes down to it, usually men are better. It's our lives we're betting on right now. And we gotta win." Sang-woo states.

There was no point in arguing with him, he's the decision was final and we didn't have much time to go back and forth.

"We only need 4 more people. I say that we each bring one guy to join us except the old guy and Gi-hun, you both can sit this one out. Okay?" I walked away no longer wanting to hear what Sang-woo had to say.

I have been walking around for a couple of minutes, and I have yet to find anyone to join our team. I was about to walk back to the group empty-handed when I heard a commotion nearby.

"God, this bitch is so pathetic. Get your hands off me. And stop calling me "babe" and "sweetie," huh! Call me that one more fucking time, and I'll cut your goddamn throat out!"

I looked to see that it was player 101 yelling and player 212 was laying on the floor in front of him. She slowly gets off the floor and makes her way to him.

"You asshole." She grits between her teeth

"Just stop it. You were using me."

"Jang Deok-su. Goddamn you, scumbag. You betrayed me, you're dead now. Got that?" Player 212 attempts to threaten him.