012

——— WARNING: swearing, mentions of suicide, mentions of blood, death.

——— AUTHOR'S NOTE: the longest chapter i've ever written is here. i hope u all enjoy! make sure to take breaks if u need them and eat your meals ily <3

-

The remaining players are now back at the warehouse-like dorm they sleep in, the amount of beds clearly lesser than before.

Y/N walks behind in silence, arms wrapped around her arms as she clenches her teeth. Tears threaten to fall, but she holds them back as much as she could.

Min-jun... Ali... Ji-yeong... 001... They're gone.

She bites on her lip hard, her clenched fist raising to cover her mouth before her sobs break out.

She sighs shakily, and someone's palm rubs on her back, their side pressed onto hers.

Y/N looks up with glossy eyes, meeting Sae-byeok's freckled face. The sight of her face only reminded her of Ji-yeong, and she sniffles as more tears prick her eyes.

Sae-byeok lets out a shaky breath, pulling the girl close. And that was when Y/N broke down.

Everything hurts.

All the emotion she felt overwhelmed her and engulfed her entire being. Y/N cries, placing her teary face onto Sae-byeok's warm jacket. Sae-byeok's arms wrap around Y/N's figure, comforting her with her fingers tracing patterns onto her back.

"I'm... sorry." Sae-byeok whispers, and Y/N pulls away quickly, looking up at her.

"Why are you apologizing? You didn't do anything wrong." Y/N says, voice low and throat scratchy.

Sae-byeok doesn't say anything more, pursing her lips.

Y/N wipes her wet face with her hands, but a voice of a woman makes her dart her head upwards.

"Deok-su, honey, so glad you won."

What the hell?

On the bed sat up Mi-nyeo, who gave the players a little wave with a smug smirk on her lips.

"How... how the hell..." Deok-su could be heard stammering.

"What? You're looking at me like you've seen a ghost. Are you okay?" Mi-nyeo scoffs.

"The masked guys all called me this, "the weakest link." Like when nobody chooses you as a partner for things when you were a kid." Mi-nyeo whines, pointing.

"Hey, this guy knows about it. The weakest link!"

She then cackles.

"And after that, they gently escorted me back to this dorm. Because... they said that it's all part of a rule that... in the old days, not to let a kid turn into some kind of an outcast, I guess. Goddamn it!"

Mi-nyeo inhales.

"It's amazing, isn't it?"

She then cackles again.

Deok-su stares at her. Y/N sighs as she and the other players walk over to choose a bed to rest on.

Y/N looks up at the large screen.

18 players. 44 billion won.

-

They're all sat on either their chosen beds or the bleachers, resting.

Deok-su munches on a boiled potato as he watches Mi-nyeo, who sat straight in front of him.

The woman finishes off her potato, settling herself to lay facing him, chest down. She raises her hand, her fingers curled except for her middle finger. She flips him off with a mighty glare.