| twenty four |

The Next Day
Monday Morning

As the front door to the apartment opened, Sunny stood up from the kitchen table. She clasped her hands together in front of herself, trying to contain her anxiousness.

Gray stepped in to the apartment. He carried his duffle bag over one shoulder and held his phone to his ear with his hand.

"I just walked through the front door, Mel.... I don't know.... I just said that I don't know!.... Jesus, can you- Just put mom back on the phone!" Gray put his bag down and looked over to Sunny, offering her a charming, toothy smile. "Hey, babe."

"Hi, Gray." She smiled back at him. Her shoulders loosened up at the sight of his smile. He was in a good mood.

"Hey, mom? I've got to go. I just got home but I think dinner tomorrow sounds good.... Yeah.... Yeah, we definitely need to start working on the arrangements for the wedding."

Sunny's stomach dropped. She bit the inside of her cheek and rubbed her palms together.

"I'll let Sunny know.... Love you too, mom."

Gray put his phone down on to an end table and ran a hand over his hair.

"Christ, I thought for sure Mel was never going to stop talking." He moved towards Sunny, his arms wrapping around her in a tight hug. He kissed her forehead and then her lips. "How was your weekend?"

"It was.... It was good." Sunny was hesitant to hug him. It felt like it had been far too long since they were close, since they had even shared a kiss. And now after having the weekend she had with Kelly Severide, everything had changed.

Gray pulled away, his hand coming up to cup Sunny's cheek.

"I hope it was what we needed." He murmured. "Time away from each other, I mean. I think that was all we needed, right?"

Sunny looked up at him, her eyes flickering between his blue ones. A crinkle formed between her brows.

"I-I don't.... I'm not sure, Gray."

He brushed a few pieces of her hair back behind her ear, his eyes following his touch.

"I know things were said last week that neither of us meant. It was a rough week for both of us. I mean, you're still healing after what happened to you–,"

"I can't heal if I don't know what happened." She cut him off but kept her voice quiet as to not make him angry too quickly.

"The point is, Sunny, I know we can move on from this." He kissed her forehead. Sunny closed her eyes, fighting the urge to pull away. "Tomorrow evening, mom and Melanie are meeting with us for dinner to discuss some things about the wedding. They want our opinion on some decorative things. What do you have on your plate for tomorrow?"

"I'm working on a couple different projects. The report for the Cosmo and the piece for Margaret Aldridge."

"Mel wants to spend time with you. Do you think you could spend a few hours with her? Maybe go out for a little bit?" Gray tilted his head to the side a bit.

"I.... I can." Sunny nodded, smiling up at him. "We can find something to do."

"Thank you." Gray kissed her forehead. "I want to grab a shower before I run down to the office. But first, I have something for you. Take a seat on the sofa."

Sunny did as he told, but her eyes followed him as he went to his duffle bag by the door. He dug around in it for a few moments before pulling something out.

"You, Sunny Castle, are the most amazing woman in the entire world." He held something in his hand as he approached her. "I couldn't imagine spending my life with anyone else by my side."