♠ It's a Long Way Down ♠

A/N: Tempted to write. An Espressleine book,, thoughts?

~~♠~~♠~~♠~~♠~~

Red Velvet sighed quietly, legs aching. He had finally caught up to Y/N's group by running through an entire night to reach their campsite, but it seemed she was always with one of them. He knew he couldn't fight them off after his personal defeat several days ago. So, silent as the wind on a bleak night, he tracked and stalked them. He was trailing them now.

Quiet talking sounded in front of him, muffled by distance, and he only made out a few words. How long could they go on? They had left before dawn, and it was now between dusk and the afternoon. Every time they left a campsite, Y/N was in the back, and, slowly, he had noticed a few consistent "quirks." She constantly glanced over her shoulder, and only ever had one hand on the reins, the other on the hilt of her sword as if someone would jump out and fight her then and there.

He knew he'd have to do something soon. From the map, they were nearing endless stretches of open fields, and he would be screwed. A loud whinny shook him from his thoughts.

~~♠~~♠~~♠~~♠~~

Your horse stopped, snorting defiantly, and, after several failed attempts to get them going again, you sighed.

"We gotta stop here! Horse won't go on." You called to Espresso and Madeleine. They turned around, trotting theirs back to you.

"I KNEW you should have trained that one better, Madeleine." Espresso scoffed. Madeleine looked away, embarrassed, and got down onto the ground before helping Espresso off his horse. You took the reins of both, and, while your companions set up a camp, you tied them to the thick, low branches of a tree in a tiny meadow. That would keep them rested long enough. You turned, and headed back over to Espresso and Madeleine as they staked the second tent. Obviously not expecting you to show up, they had only bought two tents. When you demanded that you get your own, they caved scarily quickly and let you have it.

Chea turned to you from next to Espresso, tongue dangling out the side of her mouth, and she loped towards you, barking quietly in excitement. You scratched behind her ears, laughing, and the coffee cookie scoffed.

"I've never seen a purpose in pets, you know. It seems like a wa-" he paused with a glare from you, and let out a "hmph" before climbing into his tent. Madeleine glanced at you.

"I'm going to get some firewood, how about you?"

"I'm gonna head out and gather some jellyberries." You grabbed a small bag, tossing it over your shoulder, and traveling in the rough direction you had seen the berries in the past. Chea trotted up next to you, but you shook your head, pointing in the direction Madeleine went.

"Go help him." She whined, before turning, and running over to Madeleine, falling in step next to him with her tail wagging. You smiled at Madeleine when he looked at you, before turning back to the woods. As you travelled down a deer trail, spotting jellyberry bushes distantly ahead, you heard rustles behind you, but nothing showed.

Shrugging it off, you went to the first bush, and, moving the bag to the front of your body, you clicked it open and plucked a few of the berries. As soon as you started, there was a louder rustle behind you, and, in the corner of your eye, you saw a flicker of red and black. You turned, back to the bush, and, pushing the bag to your side, fumbled for your sword. As you pulled it out, you pointed the tip towards the bush, and tilted your chin upwards.

"Who's there?!" You demanded. A long pause followed.

"....Show yourself!"

And they did.