viii

╰─▸ ❝ @[chapter eight] has

. . . . logged on

NAMJOON TOOK HER TO A NICE, COZY-LOOKING CAFE FOR BREAKFAST. It was a small place, tucked away between larger stores so much so that it seemed like the cafe wasn't even there at first.

It was warm inside, sweet relief from the cold air that plagues New York as winter rolls in. The worst time to be on the corner. Rose makes up for it by getting a job at a peep show. It's a good gig, all she has to do is sit there and look pretty in a box while creepy old men jerk off to her. It just doesn't pay as much.

The smell of coffee and sweet pastries fills her nose and her stomach grumbles lowly. She didn't even notice that she was so hungry until she came so close to food. She brought her tongue over her bottom lip and looked around anxiety. There were a lot of people in here, not full capacity but at least half of the cafe was filled.

Namjoon brought his hand to her back, though he was sure not to touch her, just guiding her along as he points out an empty table for them to sit at. "That's my favorite seat, the best one in the room." In his opinion at least. It was stationed in the corner of the room, right next to the window where the brilliant sun would shine down on the book he held in his hands. If he had time before work he'd come here, maybe after work as well.

And now he brought her here, a special place to him, a sacred place to him.

Rose took a seat with her back towards the wall while Namjoon sat across from her. He watched her eyes wander across the space, all the plants that sat on shelves in the opposite wall made her smile softly. She hasn't been in a place this warm and comforting in a long time.

"It's nice here." Rose looked back to the large man sitting across from her. She held a tender smile on her lips, a smile that meant the world to Namjoon. His eyes sparkled with excitement at her approval and his lips curved into a dimpled smile. "I love it here. They have great coffee."

Rose could really go for a coffee.

"Well then, I'll let you order for me." She leaned back in her chair, crossing her arms over her chest as she cocks a teasing brow at him. Rose feels safer this way, Namjoon's rosy blush helps her feel safer in some odd, twisted way, like she has the power.

Namjoon has gotten better at looking her in the eye as well, like staring down a tiger. He was always consciously aware of what he did, mostly so he doesn't end up making a fool out of himself in front of her. "Well, what do you want?"

"Surprise me."

Namjoon nodded curtly, his brows furrowing slightly as he stands up and makes his way to the front counter to order. Rose watches him go and stand behind a small woman who stood at the front counter. He walked with good posture, with his back straight and his shoulder broad.