Cracked Yule Ball

"My love for you burns like a dying phoenix. You're the only thing I need in my Room of Requirement...!" Brett solemnly knelt down in the Hufflepuff commons, waving his arms in a vague gesture that resembled something of a drowning crow or a feeding pelican. 

"Too dramatic, Brett. I don't think Eddy will buy that," Justin scratched his chin. "Do you have any other idea?" 

"Ok, here it goes," Brett took a deep breath. "Twelve and a half inches, slightly springy, excellent for charms. But enough about me, what can you tell me about your wand?" 

"Disgusting," Justin shook his head. "Absolutely disgusting. Something else. Please." 

"Hmmm......." Brett stopped his track in the front of the Hufflepuff fireplace, staring at a warm glowing ember. The orange waves of sparks reminded him of what happened in the tournament, and what happened afterward. Eddy has become strangely distant when Brett woke up from the hospital wing. Sure, Eddy visited the hospital room occasionally to make sure Brett was healing alright but besides that, Eddy wasn't talking much. Not that Eddy was a chatty person in the first place but Brett could sense Eddy was stressed, probably because of what happened in the tournament. 

Can't blame him. He got intoxicated and was thrown alive to a fire-breathing dragon. People need some time alone when they get through something traumatic like that.

"Eddy," Brett spoke softly. "I cannot thank you enough for looking out for me all the time. Although I might not be as smart or as strong as you, I wish to be a person who you can always rely on when you need somebody. And I promise you, always, I will be there," Brett sighed nervously. "So, would you go to a Yule ball with me?" 

"That was perfect, Brett. Just like that," Justin nodded in approval. 

"-aaand you must be a Snitch because I've been Seeking you my whole life." 

"Cut that out." 

***

A fistful of cosmoses and mist flowers on the side. 

Brett hastily jumped through a flight of stairs, heading to Eddy's office. He had flowers. He had his lines down. The only thing he needed was a shy yes, from Eddy. Of course, I will go to the Yule ball with you. A nod of approval. Maybe a short hug afterward. 

"Eddy-" Brett banged the door wide-open with a huge grin. His smile quickly disappeared when he saw the Beauxbatong girl, Adele, sitting next to Eddy. "Oh, sorry. Didn't mean to disturb you," Brett quickly hid the flowers behind his back. 

Eddy eyed Brett with hollow eyes. Brett waved a shy hello but Eddy only looked away, expressionless. 

"No worries, Hufflepuff champion. Do you need anything from Eddy?" Adele asked. 

"Um, it can wait. Eddy doesn't seem to be in a good mood. I will be heading down now-" 

"...tell me what you need, badger head," Eddy spoke out in a cold voice. 

Brett gulped loudly, forgetting his lines, forgetting that he was clenching on the flowers too tightly behind his back.

"I...I was wondering...there is a Yule ball thing going on... and I was assuming...or actually hoping...that...that you will be interested in...you know......." 

"Oh, sorry, this is a bit awkward. Eddy just agreed to go to the Yule ball with me," Adele cut through Brett's stutter. "Right, Eddy?" 

Brett's wide eyes momentarily met with Eddy's glass-like ones. Brett tried to read Eddy but it was futile. 

Really, Eddy? You are going to the Yule ball with Adele? 

Not me? 

"Yes, I'm sorry, Brett," Eddy muttered slowly. 

Brett's head felt like it was frozen from shock. The flowers now wilting from his hands slowly fell to the floor silently. 

"...why?" Brett finally asked, in a whisper. 

"It's complicated," Eddy replied hesitantly. 

"...is it because I'm stupid? I can do better-"

"No, it's nothing like that."

"Or is it because I'm ugly? Did I talk too much? Did I annoy you? Did I do something wrong-"

"No, it's-"

"Then why? I....just don't understand," Brett slowly retreated back, trembling. 

"It's hard to explain. But...things have changed, Brett. Sorry-" Eddy looked away, his jaws tightening. 

Brett didn't hear the rest of the sentences. He ran out of the office, ran down the stairs, and slammed shut his bedroom door. 

Nobody saw Brett that day but everyone in Hufflepuff could hear someone in a small bed sniffling all night. 

***

"What a drama queen," Adele smirked. "Hope you don't take it personally but that was a distasteful choice of friendship. As a future death-eater, please make sure you mingle with the right ones." 

"You need to promise me you will keep Brett safe at the third tournament and afterward, from all harms," Eddy glared up at Adele. "If he gets judged and killed for his muggle background from you death-eaters, I will not forgive any of you." 

"You have my words, Eddy. Now get ready for stealing the prophecy ball in a few days. We are counting on you." 

***

Eddy was walking back to the Slytherin common room when he stumbled on something hard against his ankle, almost tripping head-first to the basement. When he looked down in confusion, Eddy couldn't believe it at first. 

Tortoises. 

Tens and hundreds of tortoises looking up at Eddy with unblinking eyes, all carrying a small letter on their back. 

"What-" Eddy sat down on the stairs. He picked up one of the tortoises. A letter fell to his lap. 

To Eddy. From Brett. 

Eddy slowly opened the envelope. 

Eddy! I miss you so much. I really want to make you my mom's special mapo tofu dish when I go back to Hogwarts - I'm not sure if they have high-quality tofu tho-

Eddy picked up another tortoise, tearing open a new letter. 

Eddy! I am trying to study ahead for potions but it isn't the same without you. Can you help me with chopping up the gallstones when we start the new potions block? 

Another letter. And another. And another.

Another twig fell off from my 60 dollars sticky tape broomstick today. Do you think I can survive in Quidditch with this? 

Eddy laughed aloud at the silly letter. His laughter slowly died down when he remembered Brett's plastic broom melting, completely getting destroyed during the second tournament. Eddy closed his eyes in pain. He could still remember Brett's hurt voice clearly in his ears. 

"...why?" 

Because I don't want you to get in danger because of me.

"...is it because I'm stupid? I can do better-"

You are brilliant, Brett. Absolutely brilliant. 

"Or is it because I'm ugly? Did I talk too much? Did I annoy you? Did I do something wrong-"

You are beautiful. I love the way you talk. I love the way you annoy me every day. 

"Then why? I....just don't understand."

Drowning in a pool of letters, Eddy was drenched in his loneliness.