Chapter 44: My Family

Jae's POV...

“Jae, relax,” I hear McKenna say while at the same time caressing my right hand. She and I sat on a front bench with our family and friends surrounding us.

“I'm trying to relax, sweetheart, but I can't. Every time I look across the room at the monster who hurt you makes me want to charge across this room and put him out of his misery.” I replied, glaring at Ronan.

“Then don't look at him, look at me.” She says, turning my face towards hers with her right hand.

“Looking at your gorgeous face is a great distraction, babe, but at the moment it's not helping me to relax one bit.  I don't believe I'll be able to calm down until I know for sure that Ronan gets the punishment he deserves.”

“I believe that justice will be served today honey, but just in case we don't get the judgment that we won't, will you promise me that you won't take matters into your own hand, Jae?”

“I can't make you that promise, sweetheart. Especially not after seeing that coward holding a gun to your head and witnessing the look of pure terror in our daughter's eyes,” I replied, then kissed McKenna on the cheek. 

Sitting in this courtroom day after day listening to this lunatic lie trying to weasel his way out of punishment for the past few months made me want to rip his head clean off his shoulders. The nightmarish screams of my daughters coupled with McKenna waking up drenched in sweat every night were also helping to fuel my growing hatred towards Ronan. If I thought for a second that I could dispose of his evil ass without getting caught, I would have done it months ago with no hesitation. 

“All rise, the honorable judge Stephanie Cartwright is now presiding.” The bailiff announces when a tall, skinny, mocha complexion female wearing black, wireframe glasses entered the room. Her facial expression was completely void of a smile or any kind of friendly emotions for that matter when she looked over at Ronan's table. I could tell that she wanted to say something to him just from the cold, stony look that appeared in her eyes seconds before she looked over at the jurors.

“You all may be seated.” the bailiff says once the judge sits down.

“Good morning everyone.” Judge Cartwright says, then turns to the jury and asks, “have you guys been able to reach a verdict?” 

“Yes, we have your honor.” A tall, caucasian male juror responds, then passes a small piece of paper to the bailiff.

“Once the verdict is read, we will immediately go into the sentencing phase.” Judge Cartwright announces after receiving the paper from the bailiff. 

“We the jury find Mr. Ronan Hyun guilty of first-degree murder of Mr. Antonio, guilty of conspiring to commit kidnapping, guilty of kidnapping, guilty of assault with a deadly weapon, and guilty of attempted murder.” The male juror says.

“Mr. Hyun, I guess the reason you chose not to take the thirty-five years in prison without the possibility of parole is because you thought that your charming smile and lies would help you get off scot-free. I'm glad that you didn't take the deal, Sir. You are sentenced to life in prison for the murder of your partner, Mr. Antonio Santiago, and ten years for assault with a deadly weapon. You are hereby sentenced to ten years for kidnapping and five years for conspiring to commit kidnapping. Not only that, but you're also sentenced to twenty-five years for the attempted murder of Mrs. McKenna Yung. These sentences are to run consecutively with each other.” Judge Cartwright announces to the court. As soon as she was done with the sentencing, our family, and friends erupted into loud cheers.

Judge Cartwright then turned her attention to McKenna and said, "I'm so sorry for all the trauma you suffered at the hands of Mr. Hyun. He won't be bothering you or anybody else again.” 

McKenna broke down crying and shaking in my arms as soon as she finished talking. “Court is now adjourned.” Judge Cartwright says, banging her gavel on the sounding block.

“You're safe honey, he won't be able to hurt you anymore,” I tell McKenna when she begins to cry harder in my arms.

“I'm not crying because I'm scared of Ronan coming after me, Jae. I know that you would've done everything in your power to protect me. I'm crying happy tears because now I won't have to worry about losing you if he had gotten off.” she replied, kissing me all over my face. 

“Come on, let's go home to our kids,” I told her once she finally stopped kissing me.

Hello everyone, this is the last chapter of this book. I hope that you enjoyed reading it. Please vote and comment.